The Truth Is A Terrible Thing

"Fuck!" I screamed and dropped my curling tongs on the ground. I sprinted into the bathroom and ran my hand under the cold tap. I somehow always managed to burn myself when I curled my hair but it never stopped me from doing it. I was determined to look my best for this party.

It was Friday afternoon, the day of Sam's party. I was looking forward to it but I was still quite nervous. It had been a long time since my last party and I didn't know many people that were going.

Except for Josh.

Things had been tense around us at school all week. The guys knew that Josh had clearly done something to piss me off but since they didn't know what, they couldn't really be annoyed with him. They had tried so many times over the course of the last few days to try and get us to talk to each other but I refused. He did genuinely seem to be sorry about what he had said. I didn't care. I was stubborn and I wasn't going to let him think I was weak and would forgive him just like that.

Josh hadn't said or done anything else to piss me off though. He wasn't nice to me but he wasn't horrible either. We were civil to each other. We had the same friends, we were in the same classes, we even sat next to each other yet somehow we managed to get along without saying more than three words to each other.

That was fine with me.

The rest of the guys were the best friends I could have ever asked for. It turns out I only lived five minutes away from Matt and Chris' houses and Dan literally lived around the corner from me. Because of them, I didn't feel like the new girl. I felt like I actually fitted in here. I felt like I actually belonged.

I had gotten a lot closer to Sam as well. The two of us had been texting non-stop and we had spoken quite a bit in school. He was such a nice guy, I was lucky to have him as a friend.

Turning the tap off, I made my way back into my bedroom and began to apply my make-up. I quickly applied a light layer of foundation and moved onto the rest of my face. Since I didn't usually wear much make-up, only eyeliner, I had decided to try and make an effort tonight. My eyes looked dark and smoky, my lips were a startling shade of red that contrasted perfectly with my pale skin.

I put my make-up away and walked over to my wardrobe, selecting the one dress I owned for events such like this. It was a simple, tight-fitting black dress with thin straps that came to middle of my thigh. I slipped it on and placed my feet into a matching pair of black wedges. I stood up and stared at my reflection in the mirror. For once in my life, I was happy with my appearance.

I attempted to walk downstairs in my heels and managed to only stumble once. Result. The second I walked into the living room, my mum started gushing about how grown up and beautiful I looked. After almost ten minutes, she had finally calmed down enough to drive me to Sam's house.

Just then my phone buzzed, signaling I had a new text message.

Max: Have fun at the party tonight, don't get too drunk without me! And if you do, Josh will be there to keep an eye on you ;)

I chuckled slightly at his text but groaned at the thought that Josh would be there.

Me: I'm not making any promises ;) and I don't need anyone to keep an eye on me, especially not Franceschi.

I shoved my phone in to my bag and stared out the window as the car headlights illuminated the road before it. There was something oddly calming about being in a car at night and just staring at the darkness that surrounds you.

We pulled up on to the kerb just outside Sam's house. I could sing along to every word of the song that was being played, the music coming from the house was that loud. My mum raised her eyebrows slightly. "I'm not stupid, I know what goes on at these parties. But neither are you. I trust you to be sensible and not get in to too much trouble. Have fun darling."