Dearly Departed

I can't believe I have another chapter up this weekend! I was supposed to be studying but meh, who really needs to pass geography? This story is almost finished D: There's only a couple of chapters left and then the epilogue, so not long to go!

Hope you enjoy :)

*******

"Passport?"

"Check."

"Boarding pass?"

"Check. Hayley, I have everything I need. You don't need to worry." I rolled my eyes at my mother, I would be worrying about her the entire time she was gone.

"If you say so," I muttered, making her and Josh chuckle. "Okay, you better get going."

I couldn't believe a week had passed so quickly. The past seven days were a blur of packing, heartfelt conversations, girly movie days and more packing. The week had passed faster than I would have liked and it was time for me to bid farewell to my mother, knowing that I wouldn't see her for months.

We sniffed simultaneously, both of us trying to hold back our tears. Our watery eyes met and before I could stop myself, I collapsed in her arms, sobbing my heart out. I didn't ever want to let go of her. "I-I'll miss you s-so m-m-much."

"I'll miss you too, sweetheart. I love you so much, always remember that. No matter how far away I seem, I'll always be with you here," she said, gently placing her hand over my heart. I nodded and squeezed her tightly. She returned the pressure and buried her face in my hair. I reluctantly let go of her and moved back, allowing Josh to say goodbye. His strong arms wrapped around her tiny frame. He was so much taller than her, in any other situation I would've burst out laughing.

"Goodbye Jackie, I'll miss you," he said.

"I'll miss you too, Josh. Look after my daughter." She stood on her tiptoes and whispered something in his ear, which made him beam. She returned the smile and let go of him.

"Right, I better go or I'll miss my flight. Goodbye, I love you," she said. I could see how hard she was trying to stop herself from crying.

"I love you, Mum." I whispered. Josh's arm wrapped around my waist and he pulled me into a side hug. My mum gave us a small wave before turning and making her way through the sea of people. I watched as she became smaller and smaller, before she eventually disappeared from sight completely as she rounded a corner.

I broke down in tears, ignoring the strange looks I was getting from travelling business men and families going on holiday. He pulled me over to a small bank of seats and tried to console me as the tears streamed down my face.

"Shhh, you'll be okay," he whispered into my ear. I sat up, gulped in a giant breath of air and attempted to wipe the tears away with the sleeve of my hoodie.

"I miss her already. Is that stupid?" I asked him.

"Of course it's not, she's your family. There would be something wrong if you didn't miss her."

"My dad and Sophie are in Scotland. She was the only family I had here and now she's gone too. I'm all alone." The sudden realisation of my solitude hit me harder than anything else.

Josh fixed me with a stern stare. "Don't ever say that again. You're not alone, you have me and the rest of You Me At Six. We're a family and you're a part of it. You always will be."

His voice never wavered and his gaze was so intense that I found myself nodding along with him. "I know. I can always count on you guys."

He turned his head down and fiddled around in his jacket pocket for a moment, before pulling out a small, thin black box. "I was going to wait until we got home to give you this but I think you could use something to cheer you up."

He handed the box over to me and watched nervously, waiting for my reaction. My hands shook slightly as I opened the lid of the box. Nestled in the folds of a deep red fabric was a beautiful silver oval locket. Two flowers were engraved on the front, which looked as if they grew from the clasp of the locket.

"It's beautiful," I whispered. I slipped it out of the box and admired it. Josh grinned, pleased by my reaction.

"Open it," he told me. I fumbled with the clasp for a second before the locket fell open. I gasped as I saw what was inside. On the right hand side was a picture of Josh and I. Someone, I think it was Chris, had taken a picture of the two of us on tour.

We had a free day so the six of us had decided to wander around the town we were in and see some of the sights. Max had found a park and dragged us all in to it. Him, Matt, Dan and Chris had all headed straight for the swings whilst Josh and I simply wandered around for a while. Eventually we found a bench hidden by a few trees. Josh sat down, pulling me on to his lap and we stayed like that for hours, just talking.

In the picture, Josh had his arms wrapped around my waist. His head was facing sideways, his lips pressed against my cheek. I was facing the camera but my eyes were closed. A smile lit up my face.

The two of us looked so blissfully happy. "We look perfect together," I said with a smile.

"You're mum said the same thing to me just there before she left, when she whispered in my ear. She said, 'You and Hayley are meant to be together. I can't wait until the day I get my invitation to your wedding.'"

A small grin spread across my lips, that was exactly the kind of thing my mother would say.

On the left hand side of the locket was a simple inscription. It was just one word, yet to Josh and I, it meant the world.

Always.

I closed the locket and turned my back to Josh. "Help me put it on?" I asked him. He lowered the silver chain around my neck and fastened it in place. I shivered as the cool metal hit my skin. His hands brushed against my neck and his face leant forward, his lips gently pressing against my neck.

"It looks beautiful on you." he said, making me blush.

"I'll never take it off, I promise. As long I wear it, you'll know I love you."