Chapter 19

"She'll be back soon," I said, kissing Ana's hair. "Or we can visit."

It was half-past nine at night and Carla had just taken off in the GEH jet for Savannah. With the close to seven-hour flight time, and the time difference between Washington and Georgia, Carla would touch down in the early hours Savannah time.

"I know. I feel I hardly got to see her," Ana said, her eyes glistening as she spun in my arms and slipped her arms around my neck. She'd insisted on dropping Carla to Boeing Field, and we were standing beside the SUV watching as the jet climbed into the night sky. "But it will be nice to have our apartment back to ourselves."

"Yes. Until the hordes descend tomorrow. What time are the ladies arriving?"

"One o'clock, although your mother is coming earlier so she can get her Teddy fix before the others arrive."

"How long are they likely to stay?"

"Three and a half hours? I've given Stephanie, Trey's and Caroline an hour, each. Once that's done, it should be easy to move everyone along."

"Ok. Well let's get you and our little man home," I said, kissing my wife before guiding her back to the vehicle. McIntyre was waiting with Teddy who was asleep in his car seat in the back. Sitting on either side of his car seat, Ana and I held hands and watched our little man slumber.

"What the hell is going on here?" I growled, walking into  our apartment to see Mia and Kate dirty dancing on top of our polished  Italian marble coffee table, cheered on by several young women

"What the hell is going on here?" I growled, walking into our apartment to see Mia and Kate dirty dancing on top of our polished Italian marble coffee table, cheered on by several young women. I didn't see my mother, or Kate's, but Mia's friend Lily was in attendance, along with a couple of her other friends I was unable to immediately name.

"Christian!" Mia squealed, jumping off the table, causing it to list perilously with Kate still on there. "We had a trunk show here so Ana and I could choose our dresses for the wedding. Then we got Kate her honeymoon trousseau! Mom and the others went home, so we called a few friends to come over after work to continue the party!"

"So I see," I commented dryly, noticing the people I barely knew in the great room meanwhile wondering where my wife was, and how an afternoon of trying on dresses had resulted in my sister, and sister-in-law to be, drunk dancing on my five-thousand dollar coffee table!

"Welcome home, sir," a harried looking Gail announced, coming out of the kitchen. "I'm sorry – they only just turned on the music and started dancing..."

"Gail!" Kate said, ignoring me. "Can we have another pitcher of your champagne cocktails before we go?" she wheedled. "Ana's taking ages, and you make them so well!"

"You've already had more than enough," I announced, fixing Kate and then Mia with a steely gaze. "Get your things together and I'll have security drive you. Where's Anastasia?"

Mia deflated slightly under my stare, recognizing my anger.

"She went upstairs to feed Teddy a little while ago. We were having a final drink and waiting for her, then we're going to drinks and dinner..."