Chapter 58

"Christian! What is it?" I asked, panicking when I saw the expression on my husband's face. He held up a finger, advising me to stay silent as he listened to what he was being told. He listened for ages before he finally spoke.

"I understand. Thank you for letting us know."

"Well?!" I snapped. Whatever Christian had heard had certainly affected him which made me nervous.

"Because of the notoriety surrounding your abduction, we petitioned for Hyde to be sentenced in a private session. This has just occurred, and he's received a sentence of twenty-five years to life."

I looked at Christian in dismay. I'd hoped they would never release Jack from jail.

"So he could be out when Teddy is a young man?"

Christian shook his head. "Several of his former assistants have come forward to testify against him in separate cases. Once those are heard, he'll never see the light of day again."

"He can't appeal?" I checked.

"Not this sentence since he pleaded guilty. The other cases will show a persistent pattern of abuse which makes it harder for his lawyer to argue there is any possibility of rehabilitation. I'll speak with Deidre tomorrow to get all the information, but Jack Hyde will never be a bother to us again."

"And what about Millie?" Knowing what I did of her, I felt bad for everything Jack had done to her. Indirectly or not, Jack's obsession with Christian, and me had caused her a world of pain.

"Ms. Ilyard has been volunteering at the Davison police station since the abduction. According to Welch, she has already served enough hours to satisfy the community corrections order she was issued with."

"Is anyone looking after her?" I asked, thinking about how lost and lonely she'd been.

"Welch reported that Ms. Ilyard has recently started dating one of the police officers at the Davison station," Christian replied.

"Oh! That's wonderful!" I said with a smile.

"The woman that helped abduct you and our son being in a relationship is good news?" Christian snapped.

"She was a pawn," I explained. "A simple girl who wanted to be loved. Everyone deserves to feel love, Christian."

My husband grunted. There'd be no convincing him about Millie, so I left it alone, holding his hand as Taylor drove us home to Medina.

"Good evening, Gail," I said as we walked into the spotless living room, Teddy grinning when he saw his beloved Gigi. "How did it go with the new girl today?"

"I think she will work out nicely. The Gates' housekeeper has trained her well. She's a sweet thing and a hard worker. Her being here has certainly made my day easier."

"Well, that's good. I'm glad you looked into it."

We sat down to Gail's delicious chicken pot pies, Christian telling me about the staff member who had been profiting from his advanced knowledge of Christian's acquisitions. While my husband was undoubtedly a hard taskmaster, GEH was known for its generous salaries and benefits as Christian believed in rewarding those who worked for him. That made him even angrier that someone had betrayed his trust.

"What are you going to do about it?" I asked.

"The accountant, Welch, and Ros are documenting all the proof. When that's done, I'll call him in and work out why he did it."

"You'll fire him?"

"Yes. And depending on what he says, I might pursue damages."

"Is it worth it?" I wondered aloud.