Chapter 41

The rest of our weekend was strange. After Welch's Saturday night phone call, we'd continued on with our break at Escala, despite it seeming as though Anastasia and I were playing at our usual roles.

We focused on Teddy, giving him our undivided attention, but there was the constant undercurrent lurking in the background. What would Welch discover? It was almost surreal; pretending to go on with our lives while in reality, we were both in limbo waiting.

Anastasia was doing her utmost to help me reconcile my feelings. When I didn't want to talk it through, with her or Flynn, she tried to help me in another way – by offering me her submission. However, I'd never felt less like sceneing, instead opting to take my wife to our old bedroom, curling up against her and letting her fingers stroking my hair comfort me. I didn't need to talk. I could feel her love through her touch. Throughout the maelstrom of my uncertainty and fears, Anastasia was my touchstone, so I allowed myself to let her soothe me.

When Monday arrived, I recognized it would be pointless going into Grey House. My mind was so far out of the game, I didn't trust myself to make decisions. So after a quick call to Ros, I returned to Medina with Anastasia and Teddy and while playing with Teddy, we spent the morning discussing some of my upcoming projects. The Japanese deal would require a trip to Japan within the next few months, and I was keen for Anastasia and Teddy to accompany me.

Usually, I'd work through my trips, packing as much as I could into each day, so I'd be able to get out of there as soon as possible. With Teddy and Anastasia, I could envisage a more relaxed pace. Perhaps a day or two of meetings when we arrived as Anastasia and Teddy acclimated, a week or so sightseeing, then another day or two of work before returning home? It wasn't like we didn't have the money, and I was more than willing to take the time.

Of course, all that depended on another upcoming event. Jack Hyde's legal proceedings. Not something Ana and I regularly discussed, I was kept informed about any developments during Taylor's hour-long security brief that, despite Teddy's arrival and our subsequent move to Medina, still occurred during Gail and Anastasia's sacrosanct weekly 'Gossip Girl' viewing. We were waiting for the time period to be determined, and while a definitive date had not been set, every indication was it would happen in the next two or three months. And while I didn't want to waste any more of our time and energy on that fucker, and I was dreading having to return to Michigan, I'd be relieved when he was finally put away for a very long time.

Anastasia and I were finishing Gail's delicious Chicken Chasseur for Monday lunch when Taylor silently appeared at my side, holding a phone.

"It's Welch," he announced.

The fact Welch had called Taylor first wasn't lost on me. I appreciated my staff often worked to 'manage' me, but in this instance, I was unsure whether Welch's choice to call Taylor rather than me was in any way significant.

My eyes flicked to Anastasia's.

"Do you want to do this in person, or over the phone?" she asked.

"In person," I murmured, reaching out to ground myself through Ana's touch. Grabbing my hand, after a couple of gentle squeezes from my wife I held my hand out for the phone, taking it after Taylor had unmuted it.

"Grey," I announced, projecting my most dispassionate demeanor. It was all a ruse; underneath I was the scared little boy that a quarter of a century ago had wanted his mother's love and attention.

"Mr. Grey. I have the information you requested. How would you like to do this?" Welch asked.

"Tonight, please. At our home in Medina. Does Barney also need to be present?"