chapter 4

Evan's POV:

Connor's memory has improved quite a bit during last week or so. Instead of me being pretty much a stranger, I've become his really close friend.

Just a little more and we'll be more than frien-

I slapped my cheeks. What are you thinking, Evan?!

"You good?" Connor laughs, raising his  head off the table from his arms.

I nod. "Sorry, I just... Um, was thinking."

"About...?"

I glance at my phone, looking at the time. 5:23pm, Friday. "You."

He leans closer with a smirk on his face. "What about me?"

My eyes widen as my cheeks heat up and I stammer, "I didn't-! Nothing! Never mind!"

"You suuuure?" Connor teases, a glint of amusement in his eyes.

"Hello? I'm here, you know? You gays can be gay and stuff after I leave, thank you very much," Jared huffs, crossing his arms from the seat next to me.

"Oh my fern, Jared," I groan.

Connor rolls his eyes. "You suck, Kleinman."

"And you swallow!" Jared replies with too much enthusiasm.

Connor immediately stands up, slamming his hands on the table as his face contorts with disgust. "What the f- nO!"

Jared bursts out laughing, until we hear a knock on the room door, causing us all to share a uneasy glance.

I hesitantly walk over to the door, opening it to find a woman around 45 years old standing wig her arms crossed an a frown on her face.

"This is a STUDY room, and your guys are in the library. If you guys aren't going to study, then don't book a study room. There are tons of people on the waiting list for a study room, who actually want to use it for it's intended purpose."

My heart starts racing as my stomach fills with guilt. "I- um, sorry."

She glares at me. "You should be," she snaps, "I had to waste my time on you." She turns and leaves, slamming the door in my face.

I stand there, frozen.

"That f*cking b*tch!" Connor snarls, stomping towards the door.

"It's fine," I say, blocking Connor from the door.

Some of his anger dissolves when he makes eye contact. "But-!"

"Let's just continue studying for midterms," I interrupt, dragging him by his arm to the table.

The next half hour passes in silence until the intercom says the library will be closing soon.

We put our stuff back into our backpacks, shuffling out the door and out of the library.

"Now what?" Jared asks, kicking a rock off the sidewalk.

"Um, we could go for ice cream? If you guys want, it's fine if you don't want to, no pressure," I add quickly.

Connor looks at Jared who replied with a 'sure, why not' shrug. "Ice cream it is!"

Since earlier, Zoe dropped us all off, we didn't have a car. Which meant if Zoe doesn't pick us up, we'll have to walk.

"I'll call Zoe." He pulled out his phone and dialed her number.

Since went could only hear one side of the conversation, it was kinda weird.