Chapter 44

One thing that Evan learned was that people are still terrifying. Many of the people Zoe had invited had started giving in to activities that satisfied.... their own pleasures. Connor had seen a couple trying to sneak upstairs earlier and so he immediately flew up the stairs to lock every single bedroom. The couple only went back downstairs after Connor had made a few death threats. Unfortunately, Evan had gone to the kitchen to grab two cups of soda and by the time he came back, a huge group had made their way in front of the couches. And it wasn't just any group. It was a group of seemingly touch-starved juniors who miraculously still had clothes on.

Terrifying, really. So change of plans, Evan was not going through that to sit on the couch. He downed one cup of soda before wincing at the uncomfortable feeling that went down his throat. Sprite. Of course. A bit more watered down Sprite, but still fizzy. To Evan's dismay, he was also the only one who heard the doorbell ring. He answered it after convincing himself it wouldn't be a cop.

Let's just say that Connor's parents weren't too keen on having fifty adolescents screaming and eating all their food. It was enough to make them turn around and go back into the car, driving to who knows where.

♛♛♛

By the time Connor found Evan through the sea of people, Evan had already devoured half a bag of baby carrots because it gave him an excuse not to talk to anyone.

Connor grinned and held out a hand to Evan. "Ev, dance with me!"

"What?" Evan nearly choked on the carrot. "Dance? But I don't even- I can't dance!"

Connor's smile stayed. "Well, neither can I."

"M'tired," Evan protested. "I won't have enough energy!"

"Hey, it's at least better than sitting here eating carrots like a bunny all day."

"Wow, thanks, Connor," Evan said loudly, rolling his eyes as he set the bag down on the table.

"I think I read somewhere that eating too many carrots could make your skin turn orange or something," Connor commented mindlessly as they walked toward the crowd. Evan had stumbled into multiple people, apologizing profusely.

Evan glanced back to the lonely bag of carrots resting on the table. "Oh." Surely he didn't eat that much, did he? Well, not enough to turn orange, hopefully. They reached a spot in the crowd where they wouldn't get squished by everyone or shoved either. Evan caught sight of a group of people who were dancing. Suddenly, a guy ran up to one of the people and launched himself onto their back. The poor person nearly toppled over underneath all that weight! Not that Evan was calling him fat or anything! Just that it seemed like it would probably hurt if someone ran and jumped onto your back when you were completely unprepared.

Evan turned back to Connor, who was staring blankly at the floor. "Uh, Connor? Is... Are you ok?"

"I don't know how to dance, Ev!" Connor stressed, putting his hands in front of his face. "I'm an idiot. Why did I ever suggest dancing?"

"Well, I don't know Connor, why did you?" Evan smiled smugly with a slight flush on his face. "See, I tried to uh, tried to warn you about dancing but no, you didn't listen."

"Stop," Connor groaned. "You're making me feel embarrassed here!"

Evan laughed before prying Connor's hands off his face. "Come on, it's too late to back down now!" He started slowly swaying side to side, following the much too loud music blasting around them.

"Look who's optimistic now?" Connor muttered, although following Evan's lead. "I feel like a drunk person who can't walk straight."

"Oh really?" Evan mused with a lazy smile, crossing his arms. "Tha's funny 'cause you aren't drunk or straight."