Chapter 34

Tw: anxiety attack

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Evan froze. He turned his head to Connor and hesitantly repeated the question. There was no way he said that, right? Because Connor loved him, right? "Connor, do you really want me to go?"

"Yes," Connor said in a monotone. Evan searched his eyes for something-- just something that would tell him that a part of Connor didn't want him to go. Even a fraction of hesitation would be enough.

But it wasn't there.

Connor genuinely seemed to want Evan to go.

Evan shifted and swallowed the lump in his throat. "I... Connor, you know that I'll be six hours away, right?"

The brunet raised an eyebrow. "So?"

"That means I won't be able to see you as often. I, um, because we would have classes and, you know, work and all that."

"I don't care. We can just visit on holidays. There, perfect. Now we don't have to worry about wasting time to drive six hours."

"I don't think we'd be wasting time," Evan said in a small voice. "I mean, yes, it's six hours and we might have as much free time than now, but still... Do you think you'd be wasting your time?"

For a brief second, Connor's face flashed with shock. But to be honest,  Evan couldn't be sure it had even been there. Maybe it was just hopeful thinking.

"I mean, sure," Connor answered. "You could do a lot in six hours."

"I would drive six hours to see you," Evan frowned. He started fidgeting with his shirt again. And his hands were getting sweaty. Which really didn't help his mood right now.

"Well, I could, but I'm not sure if I'd..." Connor paused. It almost seemed like he was forcing the words out. "If I'd want to."

And just like that, all the air in his lungs suddenly just left. And Evan couldn't breathe. His heart was racing erratically and- Evan, just breathe. He could do this.

He could not do this.  "I'm sorry, I just- give me a minute, please?"

Connor's eyes widened and he almost seemed to regret what he said. Ha. What a joke.

○○○○WARNING○○○○

Evan stepped onto the hallway before running into the nearest bathroom and slamming the door closed. He turned the lock and immediately sat on the floor, curling into a ball.

"Breathe. Just breathe. You'll be fine," he mumbled, unaware of the tears slipping down his face. "Just calm yourself down and it'll be fine. Any second now and Connor will-" His voice broke off into sobs. Evan muffled them pressing a hand to his face. He didn't want to draw any attention. After all, it was Evan's problem so he should deal with it, right?

Meanwhile, on the other side if the door Connor was desperately trying to open the door. "Evan? Evan, are you ok?"

The crying persisted and drowned out Connor's voice.

○○○○○○WARNING OVER○○○○○○

Summary:  Evan has an anxiety attack, Connor asks if Evan can open the door.

○○○○○○○○

"Evan, can you open the door, please?" He would to anything to just go in and tell Evan that what he said was fake and that all Connor wanted was for Evan to choose his college without feeling like Connor would weight him down.