Chapter 52

Connor dreaded the upcoming doctor's appointment. It would've been nice if his mom had given him a heads up maybe, at least a week before the actual appointment date. But no, here he was, getting a ride from Heidi because his own mom had forgotten about it and sent him a text.

"So, Connor," Heidi started, "should we just drop you off or should we stay until the appointment is over?" She parked the car by the building and turned off the engine. "Do you know if Cynthia is picking you up?"

Connor glanced at his phone. His mom had sent a 'can you ask Heidi  if she can pick you up after? My meeting seems like it will end later than I thought. And tell her thanks!'  "Uh, she said her meeting might take a while and wants to know if you can pick me up later too. I'm sorry for the trouble."

"No, it's alright," Heidi assured, unlocking the car doors. "I'll come back later. Just text Evan or me ten minutes before your appointment ends." Connor nodded before getting out of the car. 

"Thanks," he added hastily, running toward the doors of the building. 

✵✵✵

"Have you had any unexpected headaches, dizziness, or nausea?" The doctor inquired, not peeking up from her laptop.

"Uh, no." Connor shifted uncomfortably from his position on the examination table. He tried smoothing out a wrinkle on the paper. "Not that I can think of."

"Any changes to your diet?"

"No."

"Any new memories popping up? Or feelings of deja vu?"

"Actually, yes."

"Would you like to describe them?"

Connor grimaced. "Not really, no." He hesitated before correcting himself. "I mean, I guess I could describe some of them. There are others that..." Connor redirected his attention back to that wrinkle. 

"That..?"

"That are kinda private," Connor mumbled. His face must've been flushed because one look at Connor and the doctor seemed to know something.

"Ok. Do you want to start talking about the ones you're willing to describe?"

"Uh, sure. I remember making spaghetti for Evan once? And he really liked it or something, because I remember feeling really happy. And then that's around the time I realized I lik- uh, I mean, thought he was pretty cool"  Connor's face burned. Well. He just exposed himself. Great.

The doctor kept typing as if Connor hadn't confessed to having a crush. "Anything else?"

Connor blinked. "Oh! Evan and two of my teachers visited me when I was in the hospital. And.." And Jared thought Evan and I had sex but we didn't. Yeah, that's too much information. "And my dad apologized for being a d*ck to me for most of my life," Connor mumbled, blinking back any emotion that was starting to bubble up. He cleared his throat. "And I think Alana, Zoe, Jared, Evan and I played truth or dare at some point."

The doctor nodded, still frantically typing. "Can you recall the memory completely, or are they just fragments?"

Connor shrugged. "Some of them are fragments of memories. Others aren't. Like... I kind of remember the stuff that made me really upset pretty clearly." Connor was trying to smooth out the paper to the point it ripped. His heart started racing and he grit his teeth. No. Emotions can stay out of this. The doctor doesn't need a dumb sob story.

"Would you like to clarify?"

"No thanks."

"Alright." The doctor typed on the laptop for a few more seconds before closing it. She turned to Connor. "We'll relay this information to your therapist. I don't want to give you too much hope yet, but it seems as though you're making lots of progress."