Chapter 27

Connor ended up sending Zoe and her stupid friends to Pennsylvania. Sure, it took only an hour, but did they seriously think he wanted to be there?

"Connor, smile more!" Zoe shook her head in disappointment. In a hushed whisper, she leaned over the three driver's seat and said, "My friends think you don't like them."

Connor replied matter of factly, "Well, I don't! I could be spending time with Evan, but no, here I am, with a bunch of little shi-... little girls."
Out of the corner of his eye, he caught Zoe glaring at him. At least she wasn't saying anything. If she did, he would actually scream. Driving people for an hour was one thing, but holding a stupid conversation was a whole new level.

"Zoe's brother, your phone's ringing," some girl informed.

"Gee, thanks, I didn't know," Connor snorted as he answered the phone. "What?"

Zoe elbowed him in the side. "You're on highway! Don't call while driving!"

Connor ignored her. "I swear, Kleinman, if you're calling about food poisoning because of those stupid bath bombs again, I'll-"

Jared's voice cut in. "It's Evan."

"What the frick?!" Connor groaned. "You got him to join you in eating those nasty things?!"

"No! He's upset right now."

"What's wrong?"

"You ditched him!"

"No I di-!" Crap. He did. "I'm so sorry!" Connor was an idiot. How could he not have realized?! "Can you give the phone to Ev?"

"He doesn't want to talk to you right now," Jared sighed. "So he's been sulking around the house and yelling at his plants. His plants, Connor!"

Connor bit his lip and took the exit. "Is it really that bad?"

"Evan rarely yells." Jared hung up.

"What's up with Evan?" Zoe asked.

"None of your business!" Connor snapped as he pressed the pedal when the light turned green.

"I was just asking, sheesh! No need to be so salty!"

Connor immediately pulled over to the side of the road and gestured to the door. "Well, if you don't like me being salty, you can leave!"

The whole car was silent as Connor furiously waited for an answer. No doors were opened either.

"I thought so," he muttered, resuming the drive.

No one spoke another word for the rest of the ride. Or rather, no one dared to face the wrath of Connor Murphy.

And that was probably one one the best perks of being feared. Forget Fear Marios, start buying Fear Connorios. Actually, never mind, that didn't sound that great.

Connor pulled up by the football field where the teams were already running laps. Two groups weren't, but they were in skirts and shook huge pompom things. Yeah. Cheerleaders.

He unlocked the car doors with press of a button and glanced in the rear view mirror. "Alright, now get out of my car. You don't expect me to drive you guys back, right?"

There was another short-lived silence before another one of Zoe's friends spoke up. "Zoe said that you were taking her home after, so we asked if we could carpool. And she... she agreed."

Connor whipped his head around to glare at Zoe. "Are you f*cking kidding me right now?!"

Zoe swallowed and started stepping out of the passenger seat. "Um.." She looked everywhere but at Connor.