Chapter 18

Evan's POV

It's now Friday, a few days after Connor's hospital check up. Luckily, he was fine, and they said the reason he had fainted was because of lack of sleep.

When the nurse told him that, Connor had just scoffed and said, 'Sleep is for the weak.'

"So you decided not to eat dinner again?"

I glance up to find Mom frowning, crossing her arms by the table. "I... uh, I just.. I ate."

"Oh really?" Mom gestures to twenty on the table. She didn't really appear angry, just... concerned.

"I... I ate at Connor's."

She smiles and picks up her phone. "Why don't I call them? To thank them for having you over."

"No!" The word burst out of my mouth before I realized. "I... sorry..."

Mom sighed, putting the phone back down. "Honey, you need to eat. Why aren't you eating dinner? You can get take out, you can get delivery. It's really simple, you don't have to confront them either! It's not good skipping meals like this... you haven't eaten dinner in weeks."

"I wasn't hungry," I mumbled, my gaze drifting back to the wooden table. It was a lie, I know.

She doesn't say anything and just starts to unpack her lunch box, loading empty containers into the sink.

"I'm... I'll go pack my backpack." It was barely above a whisper, but I rushed upstairs before she could respond.

Once I got upstairs, the first thing I did was get ready for bed.
I jumped into the bed after turning off the lights, squinting at my phone's brightness. The brightness eventually dimmed as I opened YouTube and plugged my earbuds in.

"I wanna share your address," I sung quietly to myself. The upbeat music filled my head as Ben Platt's voice perfectly matched it.

My eyes closed and before I knew it, my subconscious took over.

Connor's POV

2:36 am.

And here I thought I'd be going to bed at 12.

Zoe and Alana had a fight so when Zoe had found every possible thing to yell at when she came home. First, she screamed at a fork when she dropped it. Dad had asked her what was wrong, after grumbling about how loud she screamed.

Zoe simply flipped him off and stomped upstairs to her room. I knocked on her door, and I don't know how, but she knew it was me. "I know you stalk Evan's Instagram at night!"

That just left me stunned as I walked back to my room.
How did she know?

To confirm Zoe's previous statement, once I got into bed, I laid on my side and pulled my phone off the nightstand. I scrolled through Instagram, mindlessly double-tapping on random people's photos. I casually tapped Evan's profile and meticulously read his story which was a short clip of his mom cutting cake. Apparently yesterday was his mom's birthday. Next, I liked his most recent post.

My lips curled up into a smile, matching the one Evan had in the photo. God, he was adorable. My finger hovered over the keyboard.

Should I comment? What should I comment though? 'Aww, cute!!'? 'Happy late birthday to ur mom!'? Or 'Love u'? Yeah, definitely not. I mean, yes, I do like him, but I'm not that guy who'd post those love comments with 'xoxo' or '<3' stuff like that.

I glanced back at the keyboard and my eyes widened when I saw what I had done. I freaking commented 'aww, cute!! happy late bday to ur mom!! xoxo'.