Chapter 43

Summer finally seemed like a chance for relaxation. In the previous years, they had something to be stressed about. Whether it was about the SATs or something as trivial as not wanting to go to see the Washington Monument for the fifth time, it was still stressful. Sure, it's a historical landmark, and sure, some people live halfway across the country and can't see it as regularly. But because Connor's dad drives by there every single day for work, it loses a bit of its significance. And another factor would be how often the Murphys have gone.

But Connor wanted this summer to be a little special. It couldn't hurt, right? After all, with Evan leaving for college in New York, it was almost obvious they had to cram as much time together as they could. Besides, it's both of their first summers with a boyfriend. So that counts as another excuse.

"I already said I'm going with Evan," Connor reiterated, not looking up from his phone.

"We're all going to go to Disney together," Cynthia sighed. "Connor, why don't you ride in our car?"

Connor muttered something under his breath. He raised an eyebrow at his mom. "Zoe will make me sit in one of the middle seats while she gets to lay across the back seats. Last time that happened, my legs went so numb that I couldn't stand. And also, Ev wouldn't refuse to pass me the water bottle or steal my snacks."

"Zoe wouldn't do that, she's- "

" -The perfect child," Connor finished, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, I know."

"Connor," Cynthia warned. "Try not to cause any trouble for Evan and Heidi. And start packing soon."

Connor scowled, turning back to his phone. What type of person did she think he was? It's not like he would intentionally do something bad to Evan and Heidi. It's his boyfriend's family, after all! And he would try to help in any way he could. He wasn't that big of an a*shole, thank you very much.

✩✩✩

"So when are we going shopping for prom? We got the decor set up," Evan asked, gesturing to the bundles of balloons around them, as well as strung-up fairy lights. They had also moved the furniture around and put tablecloths on. Connor had spent yesterday painting his bedroom walls with an enchanted forest in mind. His hand still hurts from painting each tree leaf and every blade of grass on that dumb wall. It turned out nice though. Evan had put fairy lights on the wall as well, so it dimly lit up Connor's room. And the rest of the house matched. Candles everywhere, balloons and fake plants everywhere to match the theme. Garlands of fake leaves hung from the ceiling with paper lanterns. There were backdrops ready as well for photos.

Connor really should've told his parents that he had offered up the house for the location, but he didn't. "Um, now, I guess? Pretty much everyone else already got their stuff for the school prom."

Evan stood up from the couch and brushed the green paper clippings off his pants. "My fingers hurt from cutting all those leaves out, so, um, let's go." The two set down the scissors and markers onto the table before leaving the house and locking the door. Once they got to the mall, they parked in the parking garage and went inside. After, they rode down on one of the escalators to the bottom floor. Unfortunately, they had forgotten one key detail.

"Where are we going to even get our clothes?" Evan mumbled, glancing at the stores in front of them.