Chapter 26

"Hi, welcome to À La Mode, how may I help you?" Angelica stood by the counter yet again, greeting them in a completely unenthusiastic monotone. Her laced white apron hung loosely on her as if she had spent less than a minute tying it and couldn't care less. Or maybe she purposely didn't tie it that way, because it was fashionable. At least, it looked fashionable.

"A... uh," Connor's smile faltered. What flavor has he not tried yet? He scanned the ice cream finally settling on some weird green one. Not pistachio, thank goodness. He learned from that mistake at least.

"Um, chocolate?" Evan ordered, although it sounded more like a question. He couldn't help it, it's hard to choose ice cream flavors!

The couple took a seat by the baby blue wall that was decorated with strings of faux flowers and fairy lights. The tables and chairs were pearly white against the light oak wood floor.

"They redecorated," Evan murmured to himself, his eyes gazing over the soft shimmer the lights emitted.

Connor nodded as he stretched backwards in his chair. But he made sure not to ruin the... whatever flavor ice cream he had. "Yeah. It's been a while, you know?"

"Yeah. I guess..." Evan started, "I guess maybe it's a changing seasons thing?" He started to eat his chocolate ice cream but paused once his teeth felt weird from the cold. Would that be called a teeth freeze? Was that even a thing?

"Could be," the brunet hummed in agreement and inspected his ice cream, rotating it. "Last we came was spring, I think."

"Oh." What else was Evan supposed to say? He never excelled in social interaction, so why would he start now?

Connor took one lick of his ice cream and his face scrunched up. "Ugh, it's bitter!"

"Bitter?" Evan inquired. "But it's ice cream?"

"You try then. Tell me it's not bitter, I dare you," Connor huffed, bringing the ice cream toward Evan.

Okay. Evan would not freak out. He was definitely not freaking out. Nope, not all. Definitely not because his boyfriend offered an indirect kiss. Unintentionally, but still! Sure, they had kissed before, fig, they Evan had made out!

Maybe Evan was overthinking this.

Yeah, he definitely was.

His palms started to sweat and oh gosh, he was holding Connor's hand! Which means Evan absolutely could not have sweaty hands. Ok, Evan, just stop thinking, it'll only make it worse. Just don't think about sweaty hands. Think about food or something. Like ice cream! Never mind, bad idea. Ice cream was the reason he got into this mess in the first place!

Connor cleared his throat, gently squeezing their intertwined hands. "Uh, Evan? You okay there?"

"Yes! Yes, sorry," Evan stammered, plastering on a cheesy smile. "It's nothing, sorry," he repeated. Oh great. Now it's even more awkward. Way to go, Evan.

Connor scrunched his eyebrows, concerned. "Ev? The ice cream is melting... are you alright?"

"Fine! Sorry, I just spaced out," The blond blurted before Connor would get even more worried. Which would be weird, because personally, Evan didn't think he should be worried about. But he'll take it.

It was pretty obvious Connor was skeptical about it, but he didn't mention anything. "Alright then, so you wanna try, or...?" He raised the ice cream cone once more, gesturing to it.

Evan peered around the ice cream, inspecting it. "What flavor?"

"I dunno," Connor groaned, "This stuff tastes like grass."