Chapter 20

Eventually, Connor and Evan parted ways and went home. They had to walk home from the park since Jared had the car. Which sucked and made Connor regret not stealing his car keys when he had the chance earlier.

So yeah, nothing like two sweaty teenage guys walking each other home.

Nothing more.

They just talked about life and... other stuff to pass time.

"Hey, I, uh, think we passed your house," Evan noted.

F*ck. They were five blocks past. "Oh sh-...sheep," Connor corrected myself.

"Um, I..." Evan's cheeks colored slightly, much to my amusement. "I like your shirt!"

His shirt? Connor glanced down. It was a simple dark grey shirt. Nothing printed or fancy about it. "Thanks?"

"Well, uh, gotta go, bye!" Evan blurted out before taking off into the direction of his house.

"Okay then," Connor mumbled, turning back to go home.

The first thing that happened when he got home was that instead of the refreshing cool air you expect in 80 degree weather outside, it was the opposite. The air was extremely humid, almost to the point where it felt weird to breathe. It was like a gym or something.

Connor groaned, walking towards the thermostat mounted on the wall of the living room. "Who didn't turn on the AC?!"

"The air conditioning broke," Cynth- er, Mom informed. "The electric company said they'll come tomorrow."

"Can't they-

"-The earliest they can come is tomorrow," She interrupted. "And don't you have homework?"

"I'll just do it tomorrow," He grumbled.

Mom crossed her arms, her face showing no trace of compromise.

"I don't even have that much to do," Connor fibbed. Yeah, he had an English research paper organizer due Monday and hadn't started. But of course, it was just one thing.

"You aren't leaving your room until you get half of your homework done," she ordered. "And you better go up there right now."

"What?!" Connor let out a paroxysm of disbelief.

Before he could complain, Cynthia glared at Connor, as if daring him to challenge her authority.

"Fine," Connor hissed, "I might as well starve!"

Stomping loudly up the stairs, he slammed the door to his room closed. To be honest, he did that mostly to annoy people and make them guilty.
Not that they would, anyways. No one ever regrets their negative comments about him.

Did she honestly not think he could handle any responsibilities?

His eyes scanned over the desk. Dammit. Connor left his phone downstairs. Well, he's sure he won't be going downstairs any time soon.

Connor props open my laptop against the wall, since without support, the screen would fall forward or backwards. And he's reluctant to get a new one because all his stuff is saved on here. Six years of files, which he doesn't have the time to transfer.

Connor clicks Google Docs and set it up in MLA format. What's the deal with English teachers and MLA format anyways?

Three grueling hours later, he finally click "Submit".
His eyes meet the time on the very bottom corner of the screen.
8:42pm.

Looks like Connor skipped dinner.

When he drags his feet downstairs and wanders into the kitchen, Zoe is seated by the table, scrolling on her phone. She must've gotten a new phone case recently. But something didn't click for him.