4

I led Martha downstairs before rushing to the hospital with Linda. "It's only temporary, Love," I assured her. "I'll be back in the morning"

~~~

I was told to sit in the waiting room as the surgeons made sure she didn't have an infection and put stitches in. When I went back in, Linda's arm was in a cast and her whole torso was wrapped up in bandages. Only then, with the bandages tightly hugging her weak body, did I see how awfully thin she was. I had no idea how she was even still alive. I told the doctors enough of what she told me so they wouldn't think I did it to her. Her breath was shallow and her heart rate was lower than it should have been, but she woke up.

"Guess I'm trustworthy," She smiled. I turned to a nurse, "Could you get her something to eat?"

"What would she like?" I looked at Linda.

"Anything," she replied.

"Alright, we'll find something," She rushed off to the kitchen.

"Thank you"

"She already left"

"No, silly, I meant you," She looked up at me. "Thank you for saving my life."

"Oh, of course! I couldn't just leave you down there," I told her.  She's lost so much blood she might die regardless if I helped her or not,  I thought, but I kept that to myself.

The nurse came back with a chicken sandwich and a cup of broth. I expected Linda to dive in, but she ate very slowly, savouring every bite.

I jumped up as I remembered Martha. "I forgot, but I have to leave Martha with my neighbour. I have to go" I paused. "My dog," I didn't quite know why, but I felt the need to clarify.

~~~

"Thank you so much, Mrs Hogan," I headed out the door. "Be good, Martha," I smiled and left, running back to the hospital. I was worried that Linda's ex would come back and hurt her. I didn't like leaving her out of my sight, even though I had just met her.