48

I was more than happy that I was able to see Dad. Paul had given him his number and address if he needed to reach me.

However, I was really worried for him; I don't think Paul noticed, but when he came back inside he had a few visible bruises, nevermind any I couldn't see. I quietly asked him about them but he just waved it off. 

We arrived at the house and Paul came around to open the door for me. He helped me walk up his front steps for the first time and let me tell you, when you're re-learning to walk, steps are just cruel. They really are. He led me to the couch and Martha ran over and sat next to me. I scratched behind her ears and she licked my other hand.

Dinner was a simple spaghetti with sauce and cheese before heading to bed. All the while, I couldn't stop thinking of Dad, wondering if he'd be alright.  I drifted off.

<^>

I was in the midst of suffocating darkness, spinning around without touching anything, not even the ground. I felt panic rising as I reached out to feel something, anything, but there was absolutely nothing to guide me.

I spun around again and saw a small light that certainly wasn't there before. It became brighter and brighter until I could no longer see the source of it. Like the dark, it was all around me. It dimmed until I could see a counter and a few people.

I held my head in my hands. "Not this again!" I cried.

Heather spun around and around in the chair, giggling and laughing. All of a sudden, Jake came in and left the door open behind him. I frowned. This wasn't how it went. This must be from weeks earlier. It was clear he was drunk by the way he stumbled in.

"Daddy!" Heather squealed, wrapping her little arms around his leg. That was all it took for him to fall over. I wiped my hands on a cloth and picked Heather up. Luckily, he had fallen to the opposite side, not on top of her, but she started to cry. "I'm sorry, Daddy!!"

"Shhh, Heather, it's okay, he's just tired," I soothed, tucking a few strands of her short hair behind her ear.