20

I roamed the aisles of beautiful rings, bracelets and necklaces, looking for one that gave the right feeling.

"Looking for something specific, sir?" The man behind the desk asked.

"Eh, yes, actually, do you have any necklaces with animals on them?"

"We do, right over here" he guided me to a row of intricately detailed pendants, all looking rather heavy for someone to wear about their neck. Then I saw it. It was a small dog with a blue stone in the centre of its back.

"That one," I pointed to it.

"Oh, that one's beautiful, isn't it?" He went on. "That stone is called sapphire, it's the birthstone of this month, September. In the Middle Ages, they believed this stone to protect those dear to you and it represents loyalty and trust."

"How much is it?"

"That one's £105," he answered. 

"Alright," I dug my wallet out. "Sold."

As I was heading out, a man ran past me and began talking to the jeweller. I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard a bit of their conversation. "...That girl I was talking to you about..."

"...Molly? I thought you said..."

"I'm gonna ask her tonight!"

Lucky kid, I chuckled.

~~~

I got back to the house within a few minutes. I had a sickening feeling in my gut before I stepped inside. What if she's gone? What if he found her? I opened the door to find Linda sitting on the floor, petting Martha as usual. Relief washed over me. It's just my nerves, I told myself. I quickly hid the necklace behind my back and slipped into my room. I wrapped it up in a pretty little green bag and stuck it under my pillow.

I came back out and smiled as I saw Martha licking Linda's face whilst Linda was laughing. I loved seeing them both so happy. 

"Hey, Linda? It's time for your shoulder," I gently reminded her.

"Okay," She stroked Martha's head once more before letting me lift her onto the couch.

~~~

I helped her into her bed. "If something's wrong just call," I said that every night, but I wanted to make sure. I knew she wasn't a little girl, but she was still my guest and I wanted to let her feel at home.