44

My face burned as she led us into the house, gesturing toward a table to the right of the door. I rolled over to the end of the table and Paul sat down in a beautiful wooden chair next to me. Louise sat across from him and beside me. I felt so embarrassed I couldn't speak. 

"Really, what happened, Linda?" She looked directly into my eyes, putting me on the spot. I glanced up at Paul. 

He nodded and began. "Well, um, do you know who Jake is?" 

"Yes," she paused. "No, he did this? Linda, I told you there was something off about him!" 

"You also say peanut butter doesn't go with toast!" I countered. It was the family joke that went back years and years. She glared at me. "But you were right I guess." 

Paul looked extremely uncomfortable. "Do you have a restroom?" he asked. 

"Down the hall to the left," she answered. After he left she turned to me. "You like him, don't you?" 

"What? No, I- He's very nice but- I mean-" She raised her eyebrows. Was it that obvious? "Kind of," 

"Knew it," she smirked. 

"I'm not ready to really be in a relationship though," I told her. 

"How did you meet him?" 

"He found me, actually," I looked down. "In Jake's basement. He saved my life." 

"Saved your- Linda, what did he do to you?" She asked.

"I don't really want to talk about it," I paused. "He didn't paralyse me though," 

She sighed with relief. "And where is he now? Prison?"

"I don't know,"

She coughed "Oh,"

Paul came back and quietly sat down. "Oh, Louise, I wanted to ask, how is Dad?" I asked nervously.

"He's doing good. Why?" I let out a big, relieved sigh.

"Just wondering."

~~~

She told me where he was and his number, for which I was very grateful. We left a while later, finding our way in the dark.