6

I called John on the payphone at the hospital, saying I wouldn't be coming to the studio that week. I apologized profusely, promising to make up for it, but he didn't seem to mind. He said he knew I was a workaholic, so whatever it was must have been important. To be honest, I think lately I'd been irritating him, and he was glad to have me off his back.

I hung up and went back to Linda, who was sleeping. Poor lass, nobody should have to go through that. Her face was still very pale.

What am I going to do if that man comes back? I can't fight! 

John can fight, but he doesn't even know about any of this. I held my head in my hands. 

What if there's more to the story? What if there's something she's not telling me?

It hardly matters, nobody should beat on someone like that, especially a woman.

~~~

The first week came and went, with Linda slowly but surely healing. The colour was starting to come back to her face.

The doctor said she was recovering exceptionally well, and that they'd probably have the stitches out in two or three weeks. Jake (her ex) hadn't shown up either, which was a relief. 

I asked for another week out of the studio, feeling guilty but knowing it was the right thing to do. I couldn't leave her alone, knowing he was still out there. I had called the police the day after I brought Linda to the hospital. They searched his house, but he wasn't there, which worried me.  What if he knows where she is and he's planning something? I didn't like the situation, not at all.