47

I followed Mr Eastman to the door, but stayed out of sight. I watched as he opened the door and saw Jake hopping out of his truck. I went back into the living room and told Linda what was going on.

"WHERE IS SHE!?!" came the smoker's voice from outside. I helped Linda into another room deeper into the house as we heard her father and Jake yelling at each other. I really wanted to do something to help but I felt I had to stay with Linda.

After twenty minutes Mr Eastman came back inside. "It's all right, I got him to leave, you can come out now." I helped Linda back to the couch and eased her down slowly.

"How did you get him to leave?" Linda asked.

"I told him I had guests and made up about five hundred other excuses," He told us.

"Ah,"

"Lin, I'd feel much better if you stayed here." He laid his hand on hers. I tried to keep my face from turning red. "Not to be rude to you, Paul, but...."

"But," She interrupted. "He knows where you live, Dad! By the way, how does he know where you live?"

"Could be the letter I sent,"

"I never got a letter,"

Can we please agree that she gets to keep living with me?? I thought.

"It was asking if you'd come for tea some time."

"Oh," She looked a bit ashamed before bringing the conversation to the afore subject. "But he doesn't know where Paul lives," she reasoned.

"Whatever you think, Dear, but my offer stands,"

~~~

As we were getting ready to go, He asked both of us, "Will you visit me once in a while?"

"Of course," Linda answered and I nodded along, making him smile.

"And thank you again, Paul," He laid a hand on my shoulder as he walked us to the van. We waved goodbye and started the engine up and headed back home.