Chapter Twelve

DEMI'S POV

I glanced over at Anna who was sitting on the armchair, completely lost in the TV show.

"Anna, after this show we have to really get going," I looked over at Wilmer for a second, then back at Anna.

"School supply shopping will take a good hour or so and Nick is waiting to see us at two. It's now quarter-past twelve."

Anna just nodded, too lost in the show to bother a reply. It was amusing, actually. She was staring at the TV show, barely blinking, and shoving Cheeto after Cheeto in her mouth. I stared at the clock, anxiously waiting for it to hit half twelve - when the show finishes. It seemed to hit half twelve in no time and the credits rolled in, ending the TV show. Anna reluctantly pulled herself away from the sofa, having sat there pretty much all day. It was the last Sunday before school starts next week, though, so I don't blame her for making the most of it.

As Anna went to go and grab her jacket and shoes from her bedroom, my gaze locked on Wilmer, who was trying to distract himself by watching the TV commercials.

"You trust me, don't you?"

Wilmer didn't react, his eyes still glued on the TV.

"Wilmer."

He clicked back into reality and nodded his head, as if he was trying his best to ignore me but failed.

"Yes, I do, baby."

His use of the word 'baby' assured me that he actually does trust me, but I wasn't 100% certain.

"Good, I'll call you, alright?"

He simply nodded, so I went over to where he was sitting and leaned my head towards him, causing him to turn it and for me to kiss him on the lips.

"I love you, see you later," we both said in unison, causing an eruption of laughter from us both.

I called up to Anna who was already hurrying back down the stairs, tugging her coat on as she went.

"Let's go."

I leaded Anna out of the front door and shut it behind me.

The journey from our house (feels weird saying 'our', so used to it just being mine) to the mall was quiet. Neither of us bothered to hold a conversation, although a singalong was necessary when Anna insisted on putting the Here We Go Again album CD into the player and blasting it. Not only did this mask who I was (because, let's face it, who would actually listen to their own album?!) but it was kind of cute watching Anna sing all the lyrics, spot on, from each of my songs on the album. Kinda cute, kinda weird. 

I pulled into one of the vacant parking spots and cut off the engine. Anna finally sparked conversation.

"Demi, what time are we meeting Nick again?"

I winded up both windows and yanked my handbag from the backseats, answering Anna in the process: "Two o'clock, we have an hour to shop and drive to meet him at the coffee shop. That okay with you?"

She nodded, hopping out of the car and not wasting any time, hurrying across the parking lot and into the stationery store. I yelled back at her to slow down but she was already in the store before she could stop and turn around, waiting for me to rush after her.

"Jeez, baby girl! I'm new to this responsibility thing, don't make it any harder for me!"

Anna chuckled at my expense and fetched a basket, leaving me to just follow aimlessly after her.