Chapter 8

Quickly, I sprinted into my room and over to my closet pulling out a pair of light denim mom jeans and the grey Phoenix tee I stole from Matt a few years ago. Pulling them on my top, I tried to put on my jeans but then my foot got caught in the waist band which resulted in me face planting the floor and making the loudest noise ever possible, it seemed.

Suddenly, Alex threw open the door and cast his eyes over the room before they landed on me. His eyes continued looking down my body before they stopped. I looked down to see that of course I hadn’t pulled on my jeans at all and that I was wearing red, lacy underwear.

“I thought you had hurt yourself…or something.” He said, his eyes still where they were around two seconds ago. Blushing, I foolishly stood up making my shirt fall just above my thighs which thankfully covered my lingerie. I quickly pulled on my jeans and kept my eyes on the worn carpet.

“Fancy underwear for someone special?” Alex carried on walking closer to me. Feeling his eyes burning into me, I looked up meeting his intense gaze which was a mistake. “Eh?” I could feel his breath on my face now. He reached up to my face and traced my jawline with his thumb up to my ear leaving a trail of his hot touch, before tucking a strand of vibrant hair behind it. He left his palm against my cheek making my eyes fall back down to the ground. I could tell I was most likely blushing like mad which would be an advantage to Alex. Half of me wanted to kiss him right then but something was holding me back.

I pulled away from his close stance, walking towards the window.

As if on cue, Miles casually sauntered through the door. I caught his concerned gaze and smiled slightly as if to say that I was fine. He smiled back sweetly before sitting on my bed. I noticed Alex sitting against it on the floor with a puzzled look on his face, not looking at me for once. I sighed and leant my head against the window, pulling my knees up to my chest as I was now sat on the window seat.

“So, you play guitar Luanna?” Miles asked trying to break the unbearable silence.

I coughed. “Uh yeh, here and there really. I write a bit of stuff because I can’t socialise very well so I have to write my shitty feelings down instead.”

“Play.” Alex butted in bluntly. He was now holding my guitar up to me with puppy dog eyes.

“Ahh, I don’t think so Alex.” I laughed insecurely before Miles joined in whilst he walked over to Alex’s side. “I bet you can play better than Alex.” Then he whispered: “He is absolutely shite.” He winked before I burst into a fit of laughter and for Alex to punch Miles in the arm…again.

“Fine. But just don’t take the piss because then you can get the fuck out of my house, okay. Also, this is a cover because yeh…it seemed close to home once or twice.” I picked the guitar from Alex’s grasp, our eyes making quick contact before I looked away. Slowly, I sat down on the window seat and placed the guitar on my lap and raising my right knee to support it. Then I strummed slightly and began singing.

"When I was younger I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind.
He broke his own heart and I watched
As he tried to reassemble it.

“And my momma swore
That she would never let herself forget.
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist.

“But darling,
You are the only exception.
You are the only exception.”

When I was half way through ‘the only exception’, I opened my tightly shut eyes and looked up to the two brown eyed boys looking at me with expressions I couldn’t read. I shut my eyes again not wanting to know what they were thinking.