Chapter 2 - Him

Chapter 2 - Him

I normally don't like to get involved in other people's business. I'm already busy enough as it is.

Besides, it almost always doesn't end up well, at least for me. In one way or another, people find ways to take advantage of my name.

So I learned to keep my circle very small and tight knit, limited only to those who I trusted and who knew the real me.

But when I saw that lady struggling at the parking lot, I couldn't help but picture my sister - who had just recently learned how to drive - being in the same situation and how it would be nice if someone would help her out.

As I debated whether to approach her or to walk away, my phone buzzed in my pocket and my thoughts drifted from her to the meeting I was supposed to be in just about now.

The caller was Dana, my manager and confidante. We were supposed to have our first meeting today for a new film project that was being offered to me.

She was coming from another meeting at the other side of the city so I told her I would just drive myself and meet her at the hotel where the meeting was scheduled.

"Hello?" I realized I sounded rather abrupt as I answered so I consciously toned down my voice. "I just arrived in the parking area, I'll be right up. Give me a few minutes, yeah?"

"Sure. By the way, the producer is already here but we're still waiting for the director and scriptwriter."

"Got it. Maybe you can already go over the details with him so we can go straight into the discussion when I get there."

"All right. See you!"

I ended the call and turned around to check if the lady was still there.

She was. And she seemed to still be struggling.

I better help her out of her misery before she hits something. My manager would kill me if she knew what I was planning to do, but let's just chalk this up as my one good deed for the year.

I just hope this won't end up biting me in the ass, like her turning out to be some crazed fan. Well let's see how she responds when I approach her, if she freaks out, I can just walk away.

I tugged my cap lower to hide my face, then I walked to the driver's side and knocked on the window to get her attention.

She turned to look at me and rolled down her window so we can talk.

"You need help?" I asked as soon as the window was down, bowing my head a little so the shadows would cover my face.

It was quite dim in the area but I noticed her cheek and ear turn pink as she started to say sorry. She must have thought I was going to scold her so I rushed to reassure her that I actually wanted to help.

She hesitated, and I could practically hear the debate going on in her head. I don't blame her. It's smart of her to not immediately trust a total stranger.

And her reaction tells me she didn't recognize me at all. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Here, can you hold these for me please?" I asked her, handing out my phone and car keys.

Her eyes immediately brightened as she held out her hands and I knew she understood my intentions.

As she got out of her car, she smiled widely at me and I felt my breath catch in my throat.

Truth be told, when she first turned around to look at me, I had noticed that she was cute, though not really my type. I was used to being around women who are way more gorgeous and hot.

But her smile was something else.

Once you see it, you can't look away. It made her whole face light up, and the transformation caught me by surprise. 

It was a genuine smile, one that fully stretched her lips and made her eyes twinkle. Something that was rare in my circle, where everyone was on guard and all conversations and reactions were calculated to serve their own ends.

I noticed she was talking and I realized I was in a daze for a while. Shaking my head slightly, I chided myself for my giddy reaction.

Come on man, get a grip. You're just here to help.

I heard her say sorry repeatedly and I wonder what else she said before that, for her to keep apologizing.

"I'm really not used to parking in malls," she continued with a forced laugh.

"Oh that's normally how it is at first, I was like that too," I joked as I took her place in the driver's seat. I was just trying to get her to relax, but I was rewarded with a genuine, full bellied laugh.

Not the giggly controlled laugh I've gotten used to hearing from girls I've dated. It was a real happy laugh, and I felt my mood lift instantly. I don't think I've ever parked a car alone while smiling like this.

As I returned her keys, I wondered whether I should take this further and get her name.

It was a nice change to get to meet someone who didn't recognize me or fawn all over me at our first meeting.

I was too slow to come up with an answer though, because before I even fully absorbed what she was saying, she had already turned around and gotten inside her car.

Should I knock on the window and try to get to know her?

Then my phone buzzed again and I'm reminded of the meeting that I am now late for.

I turned around and hurried inside.