Chapter 11 - Her

Chapter 11 - Her

I started to doubt my decision almost as soon as the words were out of my mouth but I couldn't take it back. Dana was right, it's not like I have another choice.

"What are you going to try out first?" Paul asked me as he joined us again in the living room. I guess he caught that last exchange.

"Well..." I hesitated, instinctively knowing how he would react to the news.

"She'll be working as Jason's personal assistant for the next few weeks," Dana explained on my behalf and I carefully watched Paul's reaction.

He went still. Then he turned to me so fast it made my head spin.

"I thought you were just going to plan how to get rid of those reporters? How did it end up with you changing jobs all of a sudden?"

I imagined hearing those same words from my dad and I felt like a little kid caught breaking her curfew.

"Uhm, I just realized they had a point, you know. I can't go back to my house or my job with the press hounding me all the time, but I still need a place to live and some way to earn an income. This is the best solution."

"You think?" Paul sounded angry and I winced. "How about living in my house and working at the restaurant? I can find a post for you right now."

"There's no way in hell she'll be staying in this house with you," Jason spoke up harshly and I looked at him in surprise.

He seemed to really be against the idea and it made me wonder why.

"And what? She's going to stay with you?" Paul almost shouted and I hurriedly stepped in before things got worse.

"I'm staying at a hotel, of course. And just for a few weeks," I told him softly, gently rubbing his shoulder to calm him down.

"Are you sure about this?" Paul asked, staring deep in my eyes as he held me by the shoulders.

"Honestly? Not really. But I think this is my best option, given the circumstances."

Paul sighed and let me go. "Fine. But if you change your mind, call me all right? I'll come get you, anytime."

"What are you, her brother?" Jason spoke up sarcastically and I turned around to glare at him.

"I know you're a star and all, but just so you know, I'm not taking that kind of attitude sitting down so you better take it somewhere else."

Paul chuckled at my words. "That's my girl!"

I glanced at him and winked.

"Did you think I'd let myself get bullied by him?" I asked Paul as I pointed my thumb at Jason. "You should know better."

"Don't forget, you have me on your side too," Dana spoke up. "Tell me if he gives you a hard time and I'll come get you."

Jason snorted, not at all affected that we were all ganging up on him.

"So what's going to happen next?" Paul asked, and I was grateful to have him with me then. Trust a businessman to want to know all the details I never thought to ask.