Chapter 6 - Him

Chapter 6 - Him

My anger had subsided a bit by the time I arrived in Dana's office at around 9am, but I was still mad that someone had managed to fool me, after all my years of being in this industry.

I wanted to tell her in person what a low blow that was and how it's because of people like her and the kinds of tricks they pull that we lose faith in humanity.

I want to look her in the eye and watch as the words cut through her soul. Assuming people like her still have a soul, that is.

So when Dana had called me an hour ago to inform me that they had found her - who she was, where she worked and lived, even her phone number - I insisted on a meeting.

Trust Dana and her network to find that woman in just a couple of hours through a simple plate number.

I learned later that her name was Olivia and she was an Account Manager for an Advertising Agency, and that Dana couldn't find a connection between the woman and any known papparazi or media outfit.

Dana also could not see any benefit the woman got out of the encounter, either, as it seems Olivia went straight to a corporate party at the hotel after meeting me. Dana concluded that she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Granted, that could also be true. In the first place, I'm not really known to be helpful person, at least not outside my close circle. I just happened to be in a weird mood at the time and decided to help.

So if it was a strategy, I would say it wasn't a good one, with a slim chance of succeeding.

The thought annoys me all the more, though. Why I had to act out of character in that place, of all times, when I'm usually hyper aware of papparazzi lurking around.

But there were still too many coincidences for me to just accept that she's innocent. I'm not a big believer of fate, after all.

So I'm reserving judgment until I talk to her in person. And it has to be today.

When she returned our call, Dana put her on speakerphone so I can follow their conversation.

"I've never met him," I heard her say on the line as Dana mentioned my name.

"Check the plate number if it's hers," I told Dana, and I heard her acknowledge that it was, but she still refused to admit we'd met.

"Just ask her to come here to your office so we can talk about it. It's not like I can go to hers," I insisted.

"Why don't you just ask her yourself?" Dana said, a little irritably, but I just hurriedly motioned for her to relay my message.

For some reason, I just feel this urge to talk to her in person. I feel like discussing this over the phone won't set my mind at ease.

"I still can't believe you are who you say you are," I heard her say.

The surprise and disbelief in her voice sounded real enough - or she could just be a really good actress trying to make her name in the industry. God knows there's too many of them around, and I've had my share of those trying to climb the ladder by using my name.

Dana extended my invitation and offered to send a car to pick her up but she refused - which was smart of her, if I analyze it objectively - but served to irritate me more.

I snorted as I heard her say she will drive herself to our office, recalling her painful ordeal yesterday.

"Dana if you love your cars, don't let her bring hers," I said wryly. "She has parking issues, remember."

I already told Dana the story when I got there, and the reminder made her laugh as she advised Olivia to take a cab instead.

It will take her at least an hour to get here, and Dana suggested we use the time to discuss our next steps. Basically, what I wanted to do with her.

"Do you really think she's innocent?" I confirmed again.

"I do," Dana said firmly. "You know I'm a suspicious person, Jason, I don't take these things lightly. But in this case, I really don't think she had anything to do with the article."

"What did the editor say?"

"Well, they're threatening to blow up the story unless we give them something else to write about."

"Meaning what? They'll make up more stories about me?"

"Meaning they have the same info that we do. And if I was able to find out who she was - they probably did too. And you of all people can imagine what they could do with that knowledge."

She meant the stalking, the stake outs in front of your house or office, the badgering of your friends for any scoop about you, the incessant calls.

I've been through it more than a few times, and it was an experience I wouldn't wish on even my worst enemy.

And if Olivia really was innocent, she shouldn't have to go through any of it just because of my stupidity.

"All right. Let's say she's clean - and I'm not saying I'm convinced yet - what do you suggest we do?"

"I have a plan..." Dana paused and I instinctively tensed. I know I'm not going to like what's coming next.

"Why don't get her as your personal assistant?" She continued when I didn't say anything. "That would explain why you were together yesterday."

Well, that's better than what I was expecting her to say. At least she's not forcing me to fake a relationship with Olivia or something.

Maybe because Dana knew the press and even my fans won't buy it. Olivia was far from the women who have been linked with me in the past.

Like I said, she doesn't have that wow factor that would make heads turn. She was a simple girl, cute but I wouldn't describe her as gorgeous, and an average height and body. No star quality at all.

But wait until you see her smile. Or hear her laugh. Then you would never forget her.

"You like the idea?" Dana's question broke through my thoughts and I realized I had been smiling without meaning to. Damn, what is it with her laughter that seems to connect with me?

Before I could either confirm or deny it, we heard soft tapping at the door, and a few seconds later, she was there.

She looked lost and in awe, I think because she now knows who I am. And a part of me misses the way she was yesterday, innocently and honestly bantering with me like normal people do.

Maybe if she worked with me everday, she'll get used to it and will treat me like she did the first time we met. Maybe she'll just see me as an equal, maybe even a friend.

Wait, am I seriously considering Dana's suggestion?

I looked at her again and winced. She has to learn how to park first.