Chapter 10 - Him

Chapter 10 – Him

On the way here, I had thought about what to say to her. How to apologize for causing all this mess in the first place, and to assure her that I will do whatever I can to help her get out of it.

Dana had already started making some calls, trying to get editors off her trail, and she was still at it as we arrived at the address Olivia had sent me.

It was an impressive house, and I could see that the person living here loved the outdoors. The garden was well-tended and the house was surrounded almost fully with glass panels.

Then I remembered that the house owner was a guy, and I frowned, wondering what his relationship with Olivia was. Well, whatever it was, she won't be staying here much longer anyway. Dana had already made arrangements for her at a hotel close to our office.

The door opened and she stood there quietly, looking from me to Dana and back. She seemed surprised and breathless, like she ran to the door. Did she forget we were coming?

Wait, what's that on her cheek? I tried to take a closer look, but someone had followed her to the door and was now standing close behind her.

I felt a ticking in my jaw as I stared at this person. I didn't like the way he was looking at her, like she was his property or something. He was also standing too close for a mere friend.

My gaze was drawn to his hand that was covered in white powder and I glanced back at Olivia's cheek, finally realizing what that stain was. So they were playing around in the kitchen, were they? Did we interrupt them or something?

Olivia probably noticed me looking at her cheek and rubbed it self-consciously, but that person grabbed her hand and stopped her.

I stepped forward to pull his hand away but he was quick to turn her around and pushed her inside the house, his hand staying at her lower back much longer than was necessary.

I'm disliking this more and more. We need to get Olivia out of this house right now, I thought, clenching my jaw to keep my temper in check.

The last thing we needed was a commotion that will attract the attention of story-hungry reporters a few blocks away.

As if on cue, Dana finished her call and approached us, introducing herself in the process.

“Hi, I'm Paul,” he told her as he shook her hand.

“Jason Miller,” I offered out of courtesy, giving him a small nod.

“Yeah, I know who you are. Why don't both of you come inside so you can talk to Olivia. She just washed up, she'll be right down.”

I didn't like how he made that sound, as if Olivia was as comfortable moving around in his house like it was her own.

“Thank you,” it was Dana who replied to him as we both went inside.

He guided us to the living room and gestured for us to take a seat.

“Please excuse me, I haven't finished making dinner yet.”

“Oh, you cook?”

Wow, Dana seems to be in a chatty mood. This isn't like her, but I'm all for it since it keeps me from having having to talk to the guy.