Chapter 17 - Her

Chapter 17 - Her

I can't believe I hung up on Jason Miller. If his fans heard about it, I'd probably be dead as soon as I got back.

Several loud knocks echoed around my room and I hurriedly stuffed the last few items from the bed into my luggage.

"Coming!" I shouted urgently so my dad won't enter my room.

"Come on, Vie. You'll miss your flight," Dad's voice floated from outside the door.

"Give me a minute. Just checking to make sure I have everything."

"Fine. Your mom's already waiting in the car."

I rolled my eyes. Mom has always been a stickler for punctuality. It still gets to me sometimes and I'd intentionally slow down just to get back at her.

I can't do that today, though. My flight's in three hours and I promised Dana I'd be back at work tomorrow.

Jason's also getting angsty, by the sound of it. I wonder what happened there that he's looking for me so urgently.

When I asked Dana for this emergency vacation, I also requested for privacy. I didn't want my parents to get dragged into this mess.

Having my house on the media map was a nightmare I didn't want my parents to experience as well. It almost made me not go in case some reporters follow me back here, but Dana assured me she'll help me protect them.

Looks like she was able to keep her promise. Even Jason didn't know where I was. I have to thank Dana when I get back.

This vacation was worth it, though. I felt suffocated these past few weeks with the media frenzy plus Jason's grumpiness.

After getting away from it all, even for just a few days, helped a long way. I feel like I can breathe again, and I've been sleeping better too.

But now it's time to go back to all that craziness, at least for a few more weeks like Dana said. I hope Jason cooperates and lays low so the media will soon forget about me.

With a last look around the room I grew up in, I closed my luggage and headed outside.

"You're running late!" My mom shouted from inside the car as soon as she saw me.

"Mom, I already checked in online. There's no rush, really."

She ignored me as usual and kept ranting all the way to the airport about how slow I was and that I'm lucky my boss hasn't kicked me out yet.

No, my parents don't know about my recent job switch, and I hope it stays that way. Fortunately they're not on social media and they rarely go online so they haven't seen any article about me.

Hopefully this will all die down before the media thinks I'm worthy enough for airtime.

"Say hello to Paul for us when you see him, all right?" My dad suddenly spoke up.

"He doesn't know I went here though."

"Why not? Are you ashamed of going nack home?" My mom, starting to overreact again.