Chapter 18 - Him

Chapter 18 - Him

I rushed through the lobby and barged straight to Dana's office, determined to force the information out of her if necessary.

She better not tell me she had let Olivia resign and walk out of my life just like that without even a goodbye. Not that it would have made any difference. No matter what it costs me, I'll be damned if I let someone like her just pass me by.

"Dana, I need to ask you something," I demanded as I burst through her door.

But someone else was there. As she turned to smile at me, I felt a jolt of electricity course through my body and frozen on the spot. I was not prepared to see her here, and the impact of her smile sent shockwaves to my brain.

I couldn't think. I could only stare at her in awe, hoping to god I didn't look as stupid as I felt.

"Liv," I finally breathed the word as I fought to regain my composure.

"Liv?" Dana interrupted, and I suddenly realized we weren't the only ones in the room. "When did you get this intimate with her?"

I cursed under my breath. This was not a time for explanations. I needed to talk to Olivia now.

In four quick strides, I was beside her, quickly grabbing her hand and pulling her along with me as I headed to the door.

"Talk to you later, Dana. Olivia and I have something to discuss."

Olivia looked confused, which was understandable given the situation. I didn't have time to plan this through. But I knew I had to tell her now, I can't wait a minute longer.

I pulled her with me to the elevator and pressed the topmost floor for the rooftop garden. There was an awkward silence as the elevator slowly climbed up.

Olivia cleared her throat, tentatively pulling her hand away from mine as she gauged my reaction. I tightened my hold and turned to hold her stare, letting my eyes reflect what's inside my heart.

"Uhm... Jason? What's going on?"

Damn it, woman. Don't you have any idea at all? Are you made of stone?

"We need to talk," I told her simply.

"Is this about the phone call? I'm sorry I dropped the call, but my dad came in and I didn't want to be subjected to an interrogation."

So it was her dad. She was at home all this time? I smiled to myself and felt my muscles relax.

But I felt her tugging her hand away again and I frowned.

"There's a cctv here, people might misinterpret," she explained.

I didn't give a damn what other people think, but I knew how bad it could get if the media got hold of those images - especially for her.

She gave a small shiver, and I knew she was remembering the stalking and harassment she received from both my fans and the media.

For a moment there, I had forgotten about that. As always, when I'm with her, I am just simply Jason Miller. I had forgotten that in reality, it's anything but simple.

I sighed and let her hand go just as the elevator doors opened. She quickly walked out and I followed behind her, forcing myself to think this through.

I was sure about my feelings, and I knew I wanted her in my life, needed her more than anything else.

But I had to think of her too - even if I gave up my career now, we would still be hounded for years, especially if people thought I left because of her.

She would be blamed, hated on, ridiculed. Her every action would be under a microscope and nothing she does would be met with approval.

Do I really want to give her that kind of life? Of course not. But I just can't let her go.

I am a selfish son of a bitch.