Chapter 16 - Him

Chapter 16 - Him

I know I was being a pain in the ass, but I couldn't help it. I just get so angry whenever I think of her statement during the press con.

Even now, in the middle of a photoshoot for another ad campaign, I still get irritated as I recall that exact moment. Why did she say that? It wasn't part of the plan!

She didn't even have to say anything. I clearly told her I would handle all the questions. And to go to that guy for help - it made me want to punch something.

At first I didn't want to admit it, but I guess it's much more difficult to lie to yourself than to other people.

I like Olivia. And I'm jealous as hell.

I'm jealous that she told the world she's with someone other than me. I'm jealous that she chose that Paul guy to play this role with her. But most of all, I'm jealous that I can't be the one for her. At least not publicly, not yet.

And I think Dana knows it too. She probably knew before I did, she knows me too well.

I haven't seen Olivia in two days and I miss her so badly, but everytime I try to ask Dana, she starts asking pointed questions. I'm not ready for that yet, I've just barely been able to come to terms with these feelings.

"Alex," I ask my previous manager who had just been assigned back to me. "Did you hear about what happened these past couple of weeks?"

"You mean the scandal with your temp?"

"Yeah. Olivia. Did Dana tell you about her?"

"Well she did brief me about what happened and that the reporters would expect her to be your manager now."

"Anything else?" I prodded.

"Not much. Dana did mention that Olivia had left on short notice."

She left? What the hell does that mean?

I didn't realize I had spoken out loud until Alex replied, sounding surprised. "She resigned. You didn't know?"

"What??? When did that happen? How can she resign when we just introduced her as my manager?"

"You'd have to ask Dana. She didn't get into those details with me."

I was itching to leave and go look for Olivia but I had to force myself to stay professional and finish the shoot. I'll go find her right after this.

Could she have gone back to her house? After our press con, it was possible that the reporters gave up on their vigil and moved on to newer, juicier news.

I should probably go check that out first. I just hope to god she didn't go to that guy's house, or else I might not be able to control myself around them.

Now that I've admitted my feelings to myself, it seems that all hell broke loose and I couldn't hold anything back anymore. Each emotion feels intense, like a flame that's eating me up whole.

Just now, the thought of the two of them together is making me want to smash his face in.

"Jason?"

I turned to look at the photographer in response.

"You do know that we're shooting for a perfume ad, right? The client wanted a sexy, smoldering look, not a furious one," she chided me lightly.

"Sorry, I got distracted there for a while," I apologized immediately, embarrassed for my unprofessional behavior.

"No problem. Let's just get on with it, shall we?"

I nodded and changed my pose as directed.

Focus. Deal with it later, you have a job to finish first.

At the sidelines, I saw Alex typing madly at her phone and I sighed. I'm going to get an earful from Dana later.

-----------

It was already dark when I finally left the studio. On a normal day, I would have gone straight home to rest and sleep early.

Yeah, the so-called glamorous life of a star actually isn't. At least not for me.

Those parties that I'm sometimes forced to attend are just part of the job. I don't particularly enjoy them and I don't understand why others do. How can you have fun when you're surrounded by fake smiles and fake people? 

Sure there are a few genuine ones, but they're really rare in my world. Dana is one of them. Alex too, to a certain extent.

And Olivia. She is one of a kind, and I'd be a fool if I let her get away so easily.

It would be complicated and we'd have to deal with a whole community - the fans, the paps, the brands I'm endorsing. But I'm willing to go through it all than watch her be with someone else.

I just have to convince her first, though I must admit that the past few days of my acting like an asshole probably didn't help my cause.

As I headed to her house, I rehearsed what I would say to her to make her come back. Promise to behave better? Or give her a raise, maybe?

The house was dark, though, and it looked like nobody was inside. After ringing the doorbell a few times and not getting a response, I gave up and decided to call her instead.

She better not be at Paul's house.

"Jason?" She sounded surprised and a little breathless.

I heard someone talking at the background, inaudible but definitely male.

What the hell? Where is she and who is she with now?

"Where are you?"

"Didn't Dana tell you?"

"I'm asking you," I knew I sounded harsh and demanding, but I was beyond caring at this point.

"I'm out of town. I just needed a little break."

"Who's with you?"

"A friend," she replied quickly and I felt my temper rise.

"Why are you being so secretive?"

"Because what I do and where I am is none of your business, Jason. Why are you asking, anyway?"

I know I had no right to ask her these questions, but damn, it hurt to hear her say it like that.

"I have to go. I'll see you when I get back."

"Wait! I- " the line was cut off before I could say anything else.

Goddamnit! Where the hell is she?