t h i r t y f o u r

december 21, 2016
long island, new york

••

octavia was back to her old routine. she woke up in her childhood bedroom, the sun shining through her window. she grabbed her phone, seeing a god morning text. she texted tom good morning, even though he was 5 hours ahead.

she rolled out of her bed, putting her glasses on. her oversized shirt reaching her mid thigh and sweatpants that were tom's, she shuffled down the stairs, the smell of her mother making breakfast.

"morning momma." octavia said, hugging her mother good morning. her mother smiled, leaving a quick kiss on her cheek.

"morning avi, i made pancakes." octavia's eyes widened as she pulled out the stool of the island, sitting down. she had a small conversation with her mother, stopping when a half asleep sebastain walked downstairs.

"morning ma." he said, kissing her cheek. she smiled, hugging her son. he then came from behind octavia, leaving a kiss on her temple.

"morning o." he gave a sleepy smile, him sitting on the stool next to her. the christmas tree was up, decorated with lights and ornaments. the two ate, sebastain making a joke which almost caused octavia to choke on her pancakes. their mother was not happy about that.

the two washed their dishes, sebastain watching octavia look at that one ornament. it was her grandmothers ornament. octavia's grandmother passed 9 months ago from cancer. even though they weren't blood related, sebastain knew how bad it was to watch her grandmother suffer like that. the 9 month mark was today.

"i can take you now avi, if you'd like." sebastain called out, her looking over her shoulder. she nodded, giving a small smile.

"thank you seb." he nodded, going upstairs to change. she followed him upstairs, her going to her room. she put a sweatshirt over her t-shirt, slipping her shoes on. she met sebastain down stairs, car keys in hand.

"ready?" he asked, seeing the sadden look on her face. she quickly grabbed a rose from the vase as she nodded, the two walking out of the house and to his car. she got into the passenger seat, him starting the car. he pulled out of their driveway, driving towards the cemetery. her tears began to well up with tears, her blinking them away.

sebastian took his eyes off the road for a moment, noticing. he sighed, him taking one hand off the wheel and holding her hand. she sighed, leaning her head against the car seat. they get to the cemetery, seeing a car similar to their father's leave.

"is that dad?" asked octavia, squinting to see the driver. sebastian did the same, the car getting onto the road.

"i think so."

the two step out of the car, the brisk air hitting her skin. she crossed her arms over her chest, rose in hand. sebastian walked next to her towards the headstone. she stopped infront of it, reading what it says.

maria lilian roberts

born january 1st, 1941
died april 21st, 2016

beloved wife, mother, grandmother and sister

octavia placed the rose infront of the headstone, her hand then resting on the gravestone. her finger grazed the words, her eyes watering. 

"i miss you nana." she whispered, her tears tricking down her face. the memories of her when she was little all came rushing back. the times where they made the homemade italian food, to when she taught her italian, to the endless times she slept over. she missed it all.