11

Cairo's POV

After our training session today, which is the day before the Jamaica game, I got a text from an overseas employee that there was an issue with a field in Germany and I need to see what is going on. After getting this text I sprint out of my room and run to Jill's room and bang on the door.

"Cairo why the loud banging?" She says when she opens her door.

"There's an issue with my company that I need to handle. Can I use the conference room?"

"Sure." She says and hands me the keys and I run back to my room.

"Cairo what's the rush?" Tobin asks as I rush around the room trying to find everything I need.

"There is an issue with a development my company is working on."

"What's going on?" Christen asks.

"I don't know, but it doesn't sound good...I will be in the conference room if you need me." I say then leave the room and sprint to the conference room. Once there I hook my computer up to the projector so I can see better and FaceTime the person in Germany.

Finally she answers. "Was ist los Katarina?"(What's going on Katarina?)

"Wir graben den Beton auf dem Spielfeld in Hamburg und wir fanden eine nicht explodierte Bombe." (We were digging up the concrete on the field in Hamburg and we found an unexploded bomb.)

"Scheiße. Okay gut haben Sie die Behörden nennen?"(Fuck. Alright well did you call the authorities?)

"Ja. Uns wurde gesagt, setzen und warten, um zu bleiben." (Yes. We were told to stay put and wait. )

I hear the door open so I hold my hand up to tell whomever it is to be quiet. "Rufen Sie mich zurück, wenn Sie mehr wissen. Und sicher bleiben."(Call me back when you know more. And stay safe.) I say and hang up then turn and see the entire team and coaching staff standing there."Leave."

"No" Kelley says and sits down followed by everyone else.

"Please." I beg.

"Cairo you know you're not going to win this."

"Fine...If you want to stay you can, but be prepared for what you may see." I say

"What do you mean?" Mal asks.

"Because I know some of you will pester me until I tell you exactly what is going on I'm not going to sugarcoat anything so this is your last chance to leave." Nobody moves so I assume everyone is staying. "Okay what I'm about to tell you stays in this room understood?" Everyone nods. "My company is removing a couple fields in Hamburg, Germany and there is an issue with one of the fields we are removing." I pause to give them another chance to leave, but nobody does. "My team was removing the concrete from the field and they discovered and unexploded bomb from World War 2." Everyone looks shocked.

The computer rings saying Katarina is calling back. "Nobody say a word." I say and look at the team who nod. "Ali bitte nicht übersetzen alles, was ich sagen, bis ich fertig bin. Ich will sie nicht mit erschrecken, was zu geschehen." (Ali please don't translate anything I say until I'm done. I don't want to scare them with what is about to happen.) I look at Ali and she nods so I answer the call.

"Was hast du herausgefunden?"I say. (What did you find out?)

"Sie fanden eine tausend Pfund nicht explodierte Bombe und jetzt sie es diffundieren." (They found a thousand pound unexploded bomb and right now they are diffusing it.) I look at Ali since she is the only one who understands what is being said and her mouth is gaping open. That's not what I wanted to hear.

"Ist jeder aus unserem Team sicher?" (Is everyone from our team safe?)

"Ja jeder ist sicher." (Yes everyone is safe.)

Katarina goes to say something else, but suddenly the call disconnects.

"KATARINA" I yell.

"KATARINA"

"KATARINA"

I try to get her back ten times, but nothing works. "DAMMIT" I yell and slam my fists on the table. The whole room becomes dead quiet.

The computer rings after 10 minutes breaking the silence in the room.

"Katarina?"

"Ich bin da." (I'm here.)

"Gott sei Dank, du bist sicher. Sie Angst die Scheiße aus mir"(Thank god you're safe. You scared the shit out of me)

"Leider zogen sie uns aus unserer Gegend und ich traf auf die Auflegen-Taste aus Versehen."(Sorry they moved us from our area and I hit the end call button accidentally.)

"Okay gut ich muss gehen so nennen, wenn Sie etwas brauchen. Ich hoffe, Sie wissen, was jetzt zu tun?"(Alright well I have to go so call if you need anything. I trust you know what to do now?)

"Ich mache"(I do)

"Gut. Rufen Sie, wenn Sie etwas brauchen."(Good. Call if you need anything)

"Ich werde. Auf Wiedersehen " (I will. Goodbye Cairo)

"Auf Wiedersehen " I say then hang up. (Goodbye)

"I'll explain...Just give me a minute" I say and walk away from the team. Ali comes over and hugs me which I really need at the moment.

"They're safe Cairo. Everything worked out." She says then cups my face so I'm looking directly at her. "They are safe."

"They're safe." I repeat to calm my nerves.

After I've settled my nerves I rejoin the team. "Okay so the German authorities found a 1,000 pound bomb. While they were diffusing it the call cut because they were moving everyone out of the way. I just didn't know that was the cause of the call disconnecting so that's why I got angry. I apologize that everyone had to see me like that. Anyways everyone is safe and sound."

"Cairo?" Christen says tentatively.

"Yes."

"Are you going to work there again?"

"No. Our contract with clients state that if anything outside of our control causes the renovation to be halted then the client has to see to it that it is fixed before we continue."

"How long will that take?" Tobin asks.

"We probably won't be back in Hamburg anytime soon."

"Why?"

"The German authorities are now going to search throughout the city to see if they can find more bombs. To do that they will have to dig up ever turf field since thats where they were found. Since it is private land the authorities will have to replace the fields or they could get sued. So the client gets their fields for free basically."

"That sucks that you don't get paid though." Kelley says.

"Not really. I could care less about the money. I just want my people safe so they can go home to their families." I say then pack my stuff and head up to the room with the rest of the team.

- - - - -

I didn't play that long in the Jamaica game and not at all in the Canada game which kinda sucked, but I understand Jill's reasoning. She wanted to qualify for the World Cup with the Jamaica win and she wanted players that have experienced playing against Canada to play because she wanted to win the tournament. After the tournament I met up with Christen and Alex a few times in LA to keep fit and sharp for the November friendlies.