25

Cairo's POV

The send off series has been going good. We won our first two games comfortably. We beat South Africa 4-1 with goals from me, Lindsey, Pinoe, and Alex. We then beat New Zealand 3-1 with goals from Alex, Tobin, and Christen. Training has been good and everyone in the squad is getting along very well together.

Today is the day before the last send off game against Mexico and today is media day for the World Cup. I'm sat next to Alex for the press conference and during the press conference the normal questions are asked. Carli is asked about our chances and the people who are recovering from injuries get questions about their recoveries. I, on the other hand, get questions that really piss me off.

"Cairo what has it been like to play overseas then comeback to the US to play?"

"Well now I can understand my teammates easier and my teammates actually like me so that's nice."

"Did you ever figure out who released your medical records?"

"Yes." I say

"Cairo will your relationship with Lindsey affect the way you play?"

"Maybe have a stronger connection with her."

"Do you think your relationship will get in the way?"

"No. And didn't someone just ask that question? And what does my relationship with Lindsey have to do with us winning the World Cup?"

Can't answer that can you asshole.

"Do you think dating a teammate will be a distraction for the team?"

Oh fuck off.

"You'd have to ask the team."

"Cairo can you tell us how quickly you bonded with the team and describe your relationship with the people on the team?" Odd question but alright.

"Well everybody knows about my relationship with Lindsey so there's that." I take a deep breath. "It took me a while to open up to them, but that was entirely my fault. All of these girls are my best friends now. I know I can come to them with anything. Like if I'm having a rough day I'll go talk to Kelley, Kling, or Pinoe and they will cheer me up. If I need serious advice I will go to Tobin, Alex, Christen, Ali, or Ash. If I need advice on something to do with Lindsey, since she is my first girlfriend, I will go talk to her best friends Emily, Rose, Mal, or Sam. When I'm overthinking things during a game or practice Carli and/or Becky are always there for me to talk to and they are both able to ease my nerves whenever I mess up or don't believe in myself. I could go on and on about every single one of these ladies. They mean the world to me and I know we will always be family."

"Cairo do you think you deserve to start?" A journalist asks making me tense up and get angry. Alex grabs my hand to try and calm me down. I look at her and subtly shake my head.

"Next question." Alex says then whispers in my ear. "What's wrong?"

"He is the one who released my records." I whisper and her eyes widen.

"OH HELL NO" She yells out getting everyone's attention.

Jill comes over to us. "What's wrong?"

"That journalist is the one who released my records." I say and Jill is confused for a few seconds then her eyes widen letting me know she understands so she motions for security.

"Please remove this man from the room and bar him from ever having access to the team again." God I love you Jill.

"What you can't do that!" The prick yells.