47

Cairo's POV

"Hello." Lindsey says answering the phone.

"Congratulations you two." The Portland coach says.

It's February now and Isabella is 3 months old.

"Fucking get on with it." I say not trying to hide the venom in my voice.

Lindsey grabs my hand and squeeze's it to calm me down.

"Alright. The Thorns have offers from every NWSL team."

"Do you remember what I said when you told me about this bullshit?"

"They've all offered to take both of you."

"I wonder why." I say.

"Alright we'll call back with our decision." Lindsey says.

"Congratulations again you two."

"Fuck off." I say and hang up then look at Lindsey. "I'm sorry."

"Oh he deserved it." She says.

I then rest my head in my hands.

"What are we going to do?"

"Do you want to still play?" Lindsey asks causing me to look at her.

"I would love to still play, but if I have to leave you and or separate one of us from Isabella then I don't want to play ever again...I just don't want to make you leave a club your happy at." I say.

"Cairo I haven't been happy at Portland since all this shit started."

"So you'd be open to leaving?"

"Yes baby. We just need to decide what's best for our family."

- - - - -

Today Lindsey and I are being introduced at our new club LA Lightning FC.

The NWSL has grown a lot since I've come into the league. It now has 16 teams. The new teams are the Atlanta Beat, the Dallas Knights, the St. Louis Lions, the New Orleans Jesters, the New York Knights, the Pittsburgh Pythons, and LA Lightning FC.

We brought Isabella with us today because we haven't had time to find a babysitter. Alex and the rest of the LA team are at the press conference which is nice. Alex signed here during the offseason and her press conference was last week.

While we are waiting for everyone to set up Lindsey and I have our hands intertwined and play with Isabella who is sitting in her carrier in-between us.

We made a damn cute daughter.

When everyone is ready Lindsey gives Isabella to Alex and she goes and sits down with our daughter.

"Cairo how does it feel to be playing for LA Lightning FC?"

"Feels great to be home."

"Lindsey do you think this team can make a run this year?"

"With the young talent we have here, Coach Krieger-Harris, and the addition of Cairo and Alex we should be able to challenge for the top spots."

Ali retired and took the head coaching job here...Oh and Ash is the goalkeeping coach here. I wonder what Krashlyn will be like as coaches.

"Cairo there was a rumor going around that if you were traded you would retire. Is there any truth to this rumor?"

"Yes." I take a deep breath and squeeze Lindsey's hand. "I told Portland that I was pregnant and they then told me that if they got a good enough offer for me then they would trade me. I told them that the only way I would remotely consider a trade is if Lindsey was able to go with me. Otherwise I would retire."

"Why would you have retired?

"I love my wife and I can't and don't want to live without her. She is like oxygen for me. Being away from her for long periods of time would hurt me too much. Also I'm not going to make either one of us live without our daughter. I know what it's like to grow up without parents and I never want my child to have to experience that. Family will always come first."

"Would you have retired from the national team?"

"I would have spoken to the coaching staff and explained my reasons for retiring and knowing Jill I think she would've understood why I did it, but it would have been up to her and the federation to allow me to still be on the team."

"Lindsey would you have allowed Cairo to retire?"

"Well she is her own person so she can do whatever she wants." Lindsey says.

"Did she tell you about this situation with Portland? And if so what was your reaction?"

"Yes she did tell me. She came home and told me everything that the front office of the Thorns told her and I was furious. It's pretty messed up to go in and tell your club that you're pregnant and then they straight away tell you that your spot is in jeopardy."

"Cairo are you mad at Portland?"

"Because I don't want to be fined I'll say no comment."

"Lindsey do you think this move could cause backlash with the fans?"

"That's something only time will tell."

After a few more questions about the normal soccer stuff we are given our jerseys to let the press take pictures of us with them. When I get my jersey the first thing I do is run my fingers over the last name on the back of the shirt.

"You okay?" Lindsey whispers to me.

"Still can't believe my last name is Horan." I say and then we smile at each other.

"Well you better believe it because it's yours for life."

"Wouldn't have it any other way." I say then kiss her.

Our home jerseys are gold with black trim on the sleeves and white numbers and letters. The away jerseys are cobalt blue with gold trim on the sleeves and white numbers and letters. The third jersey's for the team I hate. Their bright pink with a yellow lightning bolt across the front. Lindsey took the number 10 like back in Portland and I went with my normal number 12.

Lindsey and I take pictures with our jerseys then the press conference is over so we go do social media stuff and sign stuff. After all that stuff is over Ash, Ali, Alex, and Serv come over to our house for dinner.

"Dang your house is nice." Serv says.

"Thanks." Lindsey says.

"Did you draw this?" Ash asks and holds up a random sketch.

"Yep." I say.

"When did you start drawing in color?" Alex asks.

"A couple months after Lindsey and I started dating."

"Is that why you said that in your vows?" Ali asks.

"Yeah. I only started because of her."