12. Planning and Stealing

"This man declined of a Noble Peace prize

"This man declined of a Noble Peace prize..." Fury begins as he picked up and looked at the familiar picture of Alexander Pierce which was taken back in '92. "He said: Peace wasn't an achievement... it was a responsibility..." Fury quotes almost mockingly before dropping it lazily back on the table. "You see, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." He continued as Natasha and Rachel sat next to each other listening to the man talk.

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha states becoming serious.

"I don't think the council's accepting my calls anymore..." Fury argues subtly but sarcastically before opening the black briefcase beside him to reveal three giant identical data chips.

"What's that?" Sam asks referring to the data chips.

"Once the Hellicarriers reach three-thousand feet they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponised." Maria states turning the laptop she had around displaying the situation at hand.

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own." Fury continues scanning everyone but Maria dead in the eyes with his only eye.

"One or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work." Maria warned and Rachel nodded sticking that information in particular in her brain. "Because if even one of those ships remains operational... a whole lot of people are going to die."

"Should we warn the rest of the team?" Rachel suggests. "Tony, Clint. Banner's a confirmed target-"

"It won't come to that Falsworth." Fury interrupts staying positive. "We have to assume everyone aboard those ships is Hydra. You have to get past them, insert the sever blades and maybe, just maybe we could salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything." Steve interrupts with a strong voice. "We're not just taking the carriers down we're taking down Shield."

"Shield has nothing to to with this!-"

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends!" Steve argues looking Nick Fury firmly in the eye. "Shield's been comprised, you said so yourself. Hydra grew right under your nose and you didn't notice."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury comments in a sarcastic tone.

"How many people paid the price before you did?" Steve questions firmly as Rachel looked up at Steve from her seat and then Fury. He sat there in silence and defeat.

"Look I didn't know about Barnes..."

"Even if you had would you have told me?" Steve questions again with his tone reminding Fury of the conversation they had right at the beginning of this bullshit. "Or would you have compartmentalised that too? Shield. Hydra. It all goes."

"He's right..." Maria agreed making Fury's head turn in her direction. When he turned to Natasha she just leaned back in her chair with a knowing look. He then turned to Rachel who shrugged.

"I'd do the same. It has to end at some point." Rachel says sending him a sad look.

"Don't look at me." Sam starts as Fury's head turned towards him. "I do what he does just slower."

"Yeah, real slower." Rachel teases earning a glare from Sam which Rachel only returned with a smirk of mischief.

"Well..." Fury begins leaning back in his chair as everyone awaited his next move. "Looks like your giving the orders now Captain." Fury congratulates smoothly.

"Rachel." Maria starts standing up as Rachel turned her head towards her. "A word."

"Sure..." Rachel hesitantly says standing up before following Maria into one of the rooms down the hall from the rest of the team. "You okay?" Rachel asks concerned.

"Yes." Maria answered before approaching one of the few duffel bags in the room. "It's you I'm worried about."

"In what way?" Rachel asks suspiciously.

"What you're wearing." Maria states as she unzipped the bag she now knelt beside smirking. "Whilst you guys were becoming fugitives I took it too myself to grab a couple things that your friend Bond sent us a while back." Maria explains before revealing a very familiar black zip up leather jacket with a thick grey stripe running down both side of the torso area and arms with a familiar suit beneath.

"He didn't..." Rachel sighed in almost happiness as the suit she used in the forty's came into view. "Oh, James you legend... thanks Maria." Rachel thanked as she picked up the jacket to only see something added to the tricep area: the Howling Commandos crest. The three golden wings making Rachel take a deep breath in as she was reminded instantly of her great uncle.

"Your welcome. And the crest. That was your great uncles doing." Maria quickly informed making Rachel smile.

"Well then I better suit up." Rachel tells herself as Maria stood and placed her boots on top of the pile of clothes.

"Yes you should." Maria agreed before walking away.

- -

"...kind you save... he's the kind you stop." Rachel heard admit as she approached him and Steve in her gear.

"I don't know if I can do that." Steve admitted looking straight ahead of him into the distance.

"Well he might not give you a choice." Sam tells him. "He doesn't know you."

"He will." Steve confidently assures turning his head to face Sam before seeing Rachel and his eyes widened in recognition of what she was wearing. Sam noticing the look turned to see Rachel and his jaw almost dropped.

"Where did you-" Sam began but couldn't even finish the sentence due to him stopping it.

"Maria." Rachel states placing her hands on her hips once she stopped by the two with a grey mask in one hand. "James sent it to her."

"Great. I honestly missed that suit." Steve admits smiling at Rachel as she looked up at him. Rachel could feel her cheeks heat up a little at the complement.

"When did you where that suit?" Sam questions. "I've never seen you in that suit."

"Forty's." Rachel responds truthfully nudging Steve. "When I had to save his ass." Steve sent a knowing glare in Rachel's direction as she smirked smugly in Sam's direction.

"My goodness... Captain America saved by Rachel blimin' Falworth!" Sam exclaims in a British accent. "Well I never." Sam finished holding back his laugh.

"Well I got my stuff ready. Clearly." Rachel stats changing the subject.

"Good." Steve says before looking at Sam. "Gear up, it's time." He orders before he starts to walk towards the gate a good twenty meters away.

"You gonna wear that?" Sam questions.

"No. If you're gonna fight a war you gotta wear a uniform." Steve corrects allowing his American accent to shine in that one sentence.

"Your not thinking what I'm thinking Rogers!" Rachel calls as she stood next to Sam who looked down at her confused. "Steve! Your not gonna steal that are you?! Steven Grant Rogers, I swear to God!"