10

It's the afternoon. I have finally finished all my schoolwork. I start learning things that might be in my plaquette tomorrow. If I keep up the good work, I won't have to do anything during the weekend. And I can't miss the AC/DC marathon on the radio on Saturday.

I feel burned out. I need a break. At exactly 17:00, just like every workday, grandpa will come and examine me on everything I've learned today. Then, he'll measure me again and we'll go home just in time for dinner. But it won't feel like freedom.

My parents don't want me to live in the hospital, so the compromise is that I go there every day, except on Sunday, and I stay there from eight o'clock in the morning until six o'clock in the evening. And then my family can have me for themselves. Father can teach me the piano, Mother and can teach me how to dance ballet (or attempt to, she isn't very good at it, but don't tell her that!). Aunt Alice uses me and aunt Rose as shopping buddies. But since I am not allowed to leave the house, if we exclude going to the hospital, we shop online. I like browsing through the various clothes I see, imagining myself wearing them on several occasions. Alas, I never buy much. What's the point? Where am I going to wear them?

I dream of owning a phone. I have an iPod, but an old one. I can't access the Internet without parental permission. I am limited to what I learn. That's why it's a blessing for me to own a radio. I listen to music, I hear what is going on around me. The best part? I can choose what I can listen to. No one can control my radio. If only I had disks with music.

I need to use the toilet. Using the Intercom in The Isolator, I inform Gary where I am going. Technically, I could use this for my own advantage. No. There are cameras everywhere. Except for the toilets. I can hide in the toilets for as long as I can. I've done it a couple of times. I lied I had human needs. Glenda knew the truth, but she didn't tell my grandfather anything. God bless her and her family!

On my way back from the toilets, I slow down my pace. I don't want to go back to The Isolator quite yet. I'm exhausted. I need a change. A little crack in my daily routine of boredom.

I stop in my tracks when I hear voices. Both deep and kind of husky.

"Are you sure this is the best decision?"

A what seems to be a female voice, replies: "I'm positive. There's nothing else that can be done."

For instance, I glance at them. It's the siblings from the cafeteria. They are too caught up with themselves to notice me.

"Rachel, I'm scared to death," the male's voice is breaking like he is about to cry.

At that moment what I see is unbelievable. My eyes catch the sight of a man, crying his heart out; Rachel, his sister holding him as if he is a piece of glass that is going to break.

I've never seen such a thing.

For a moment, I wish I could wrap my arms around him and warm him up with my higher body temperature.