33

SEPTEMBER

The music is blasting through the speakers, as the youth of La Push is swaying to the rhythm of the rock songs by the live band.

Even though the sun has set hours ago, the night has just begun.

It all started as a normal campfire where the elders would tell stories of the tribe's past, including the legend of how they descended from wolves.

When I learned that Jacob and his childhood friends were shapeshifters, I was stunned. Before that day, I believed I was the only freak in this entire world if we exclude the rest of my family. I never knew there were people who partly understood how I felt sometimes.

Perhaps that was why Jacob and I were compatible? Our supernatural and human roots were making us more alike than we thought we were. No wonder why I have always felt so comfortable being myself around him.

Alas, the campfire night had turned into a massive party thanks to an aspiring rock band that the youth of Forks and La Push had formed.

"And now we would like to dedicate this song to all lovebirds here, but most importantly - to Jacob Black and Renesmee Cullen!", the lead singer exclaims into the microphone, causing the crowd to erupt in applause. The younger teens chant our names and take photos and videos to keep the memory of the night forever.

"Do you want to get out of here?", Jacob tries to outscream the louder music, ignoring the dancing people around us.

"Yeah!", I shout back and squeeze his hand.

Together, we make our way through the crowd, until we are feet away from them and the music is simply in the background, not destroying the intimate moment I can feel we are about to share.

Making sure we are alone, Jake cups my face with his palms. My hands automatically find themselves resting on his elbows.

"Renesmee," he begins, "I know we've known each other for a couple of months, but ever since I met you, my whole life has changed for the better. I know it may be too soon, but I figured out since it's your birthday, it will be the perfect moment to tell you that I love you."

My lips twitch into a grin. I've waited for him to say it for so long.

A chuckle escapes my mouth, "When you love someone, it's the little things, you know? The way you look at a person, how their happiness is just as important as yours. When you love someone, you want to give them everything. You are their priority - never a backup plan or an afterthought. You not only accept, but also adore every little thing about them. that makes them who they are."

Jacob is left stunned. I can tell he hasn't waited for my response. But I notice things. I am not blind. I know he loves me. And I feel the same way. Only the future will tell what is going to happen to us and our relationship. Who knows? Perhaps we are meant to create a family? Maybe not? It's my first relationship ever. And I will be ready for whatever life gives me. 

"What I am trying to tell you is that I know you love me and I want you to know that I love you too," I smile at him.

Jacob pulls me into a passionate kiss.

This is the perfect birthday - I am surrounded by people who accept me for who I am, enjoying live music and for the first time in my life I feel something I've never felt before.

I am finally free.

THE END