11

My father reads minds. So when grandpa and I are a couple of miles away from home, I focus more on the music blasting on my outmoded iPod. I get it at the end of the day for a reward. I've done a good job today on my examination. Grandpa claims I am almost at a college level in Biology. That is wonderful to know.

You see, I want to learn more about why I grow so fast. I want to know if I have children one day, will they grow as fast as me. Maybe I can be better prepared than my family. I know for sure my children (if I have any) won't be isolated from society.

My father makes a face at me. "Why the silent mind?", he asks that question every day. My mother, as usual, had to remind me that snooping in people's minds is impolite. And he reminds her back that he can't control his abilities. All I want to tell him is to learn how to. It takes practice. Everything takes time and practice to be refined and sophisticated.

As soon as my grandfather and I enter the house, we wash our hands and head to the dining room, where a freshly-served meal is waiting for me. The rest of the family are going to watch me eat and communicate with me.

As I am about to take a bite of my salad, my aunt Rose demands to know how has my day been.

I put down my fork, "Nothing new really happened."

My mother looks at me askew. "What? Don't you have a new nurse?"

Word travels fast in this family, as you can see.

Dinner is a nightmare for me tonight. I have to cover up my thoughts from my father. He can't know about Rachel and her brother. Something about them makes me want to get to know them. Is it because I've never had any friends, besides Glenda?