32

One month. That is how long we lived in Seattle at Jacob's friends. Had it not been for Seth and Leah Clearwater, we would have been homeless. Words cannot describe how grateful I am for their existence and open hearts. 

Jake did a couple of odd jobs here and there, being able to earn enough money to pay the bills for the house in La Push. Together, we obtained our GEDs too and in the near future, when I have enough money to afford it, I will start some college classes. I have chosen to focus on Genetics. I need to know where I come from and why I am the way I am. Hopefully, these classes will be beneficial.

Today, we are finally leaving for La Push. I've only heard of it. I didn't even dare to ask Jake, Leah or Seth to show me any photos. I want to be surprised the moment I step on First Beach.

I tie my now shoulder-length hair into a small messy bun and plug in my earphones, letting myself relax on the backseat in Jacob's arms. The journey will be long - almost four hours. I hope I can sleep through it.

Three and a half hours later, I wake up and the car hasn't stopped yet. I rub my eyes and sit up when I notice a sign. We are between Forks and La Push. The car is now supposed to turn on the right. Instead, we turn on the left. I raise my eyebrow.

"Uhh, guys? We were supposed to go in the other direction," I say.

Looking at the rear-view mirror, I can see Leah smiling back. Why? What is going on?

Jacob pulls me in his embrace, "Sleep," he chuckles, but I disobey. I don't want to close my eyes anymore. I want to soak in every bit of what I can see from this new world that I've only heard of so far.

Like a child, I press my palms on the window of the car. My forehead is creating spots that Leah will have to clean later on, but I will help her, of course. In front of me are moving blue, green and brown, creating a beautiful picture that one can only dream of. Tiny droplets of rain begin to trickle on the window, their song almost resembling my father's piano melodies.

We pass by houses, which of which is prettier until we reach the prettiest of them all and the car stops. In front of me is a white two-storey house with a chimney and a police car parked in front of it. I remember the stories about my grandfather being the chief of the police of Forks.

Tears build up in my eyes, threatening to stream down my face. I cannot believe that this is the home where my mother has lived when she has been around the age I appear to be.

The door of the house unexpectedly opens, revealing at least twenty people. I've rarely met new people before. I wonder if they will accept me the way I am. I hope so.

I attempt to smile and look friendly and less intimidating. All of these people seem to know Jacob somehow - the majority of them are probably his childhood friends, but all of his aunts and uncles have come too.

"Jacob!", two of his aunties, who I can guess are twin sisters, give him a tight hug and a pat on the back.

"And you must be Renesmee?", one of them, Jennie, I think, asks me. I shyly nod my head, maintaining the smile on my face.

One of the people stands out to me the most. He has the same brown hair and eyes my mother and I have. He is wearing a uniform too. This is my grandfather, Charlie Swan.

With slow steps and trembling fingers, I approach him nervously. I barely remember him. I wonder how he feels about seeing me after so long.

Before I can even open my mouth to speak, my grandpa envelops me in a hug. 

"Oh, Renesmee! Look at you - you've grown up so much! How?"

My smile widens. For the first time in my life, I feel proud, while speaking up, "It's a part of who I am."

Grandpa smiles back at me. I can't imagine how difficult it has been for him to see me seven years ago as a little chubby baby and now I appear as a young woman.

The family reunion continues with a homemade lunch by Seth and Emily Uley and a toast for a better beginning for Jacob and me, during which I prick my ears out of curiosity. I can't help but smile, listening to the conversations around me.

"I can't believe my granddaughter ended up with your son," I hear Charlie say.

Billy chuckles, "C'est la vie."