19

In the bathrooms today Jacob tells me why he is at the hospital so frequently. He tells me about his father - how he has diabetes and is in a wheelchair. Jacob had done his research with his sisters, they had found the hospital and the offered options for treatment and they had all agreed to move to Felicity Island. 

I cannot relate to any of Jacob's words. My parents are immortal. So is the rest of my family. At least those family members that I know of. My mother is yet to tell me her story. I am tired of being lied to. I hate sugarcoating!

"I know your father will get better, Jacob. I believe in that," I try to encourage my new friend to stay positive.

I can't believe I have a new friend. If only I did not spend my days in a hospital room! Imagine all the things we can do on the Island! There is a seasonal fair that we can go to. We can bob for apples, skate on the rink and have water balloon fights!

But, of course, my life will begin when I stop ageing forever. That's what I've always heard.

Or does it have to?

Why can't I stop simply existing and start living right now? At this moment?

An idea forms in my head. I need to know if he is okay with it. I feel the grin forming on my face. "What if we all find happiness somewhere else?"

Jacob looks at me askew, not quite understanding me, "But you're sick."

I shake my head. He doesn't know what it's like. "I don't feel sick."

His glance never changes, as I respire and confess that ever since I've met him, I've never felt more alive, more willing to try new things. That is all I've needed my whole life - to be introduced to someone, who can encourage me to lead a better life.