the rain doesn't always bring a rainbow

song - fools: troye sivan

TW: homophobic slurs, detailed sexual assault

Cady wakes up, a smile forming on her face. She shuts off her alarm, pulling her small frame out of her bed. She takes Nala outside, letting her using the bathroom, drinking a glass of water. She spots Janis getting ready in her bedroom, her smile growing bigger. She goes back inside, excited to get ready. She washes her face, the tormenting thoughts forgotten about for a sheer moment of happiness. She applies her makeup, listening to Troye Sivan, singing along. She heads to her closet, deciding to step out of her comfort zone for a day. She picks out a thick maroon sweater, black skater skirt, and thick black thigh high socks. She stares at herself in the mirror. She doesn't look like the Cady she has grown to hate. She looks like a normal girl. Her auburn curls surround her face, her strange reflection staring back at her. She pulls on her pair of black boots, the same she wore the day before.

She grabs her school bag and heads downstairs, still smiling. Her mom turns around, handing her the yellow hydro flask. "Someone is happy today."

"I guess so. I'm walking to school with a friend. Her name is Janis. She lives next door," Cady smiles, grabbing the water bottle.

"That's great, mpenzi!" her mother exclaims, pulling her daughter in for a hug.

Cady walks outside, the cool breeze hitting her like a smack in the face. Janis is already waiting for her, a smile on her face.

"Good morning, Caddie. You look really nice," Janis smiles.

"Thanks, Janis. So do you," Cady replies, admiring Janis's beauty. She is dressed in a yellow floral top, a jean jacket on top. Jean shorts with decorative tights line her legs.

"Shall we?" Janis asks, offering Cady her hand.

Cady can only nod. Their journey to school fills the air with giggles and random conversation. Cady's happiness radiating off of her like the sun in the sky.

Janis grabs Cady's phone out of her hand.

"What are you doing?" Cady questions as Janis furiously types on the phone.

"Giving you my number. Here. Give me yours," Janis smirks.

Cady blushes, gently typing her number into Janis's phone.

------------------------------

The second the girls approach the school, the taunts start. Whispers and giggles fill the air. Janis can only roll her eyes.

"Aw look, the little dykes walked to school together. How cute," Regina giggles. "The space dyke and the walking dead. Two little lesbo freaks."

Janis shoots a death glare at Regina, dragging Cady into the school. Cady can't look up from the ground.

"Are you okay, Caddie? I should have warned you. I'm so sorry," Janis says, pulling Cady into her arms.

"Why did she call you a space dyke?" Cady questions as Janis lets go of her.

"That's a funny story, actually. Regina and I used to be best friends. Until eighth grade. Regina had invited me to her birthday party, which was a pool party. Damian and I were talking outside of homeroom and Regina came up to me, telling me that she had to uninvite me from her birthday party. She thought that I was a dyke and didn't want me to molest the girls at the pool. She then kept asking me over and over again if I was a dyke. In the moment, I didn't know what to say. So I looked her in the eye, and said that I was a space alien with four butts," Janis tells her.