the voice she can't find

song - control: halsey

TW: homophobic slurs

Cady groans as the sound of her alarm fills the air. She feels as though she has been hit by a bus. But her thoughts hit her harder. It's audition day.

She pulls her frail body out of bed, almost falling over. She heads downstairs, Nala following her. She lets Nala outside, heading back to the kitchen. She takes an orange out of fridge, slowing eating it. She eats only a few times a week and it's always something small. She wants to be thin, not dead.

She lets Nala back inside, heading back upstairs to get ready. It seems to go by in a blur. The next thing she knows, she's standing in front of her closet. She picks out a pair of blue jeans, a black long sleeve shirt, and an army green jacket. She slips the clothing on top of her small frame. She sighs, pulling up half of her hair up into a neat top knot. She pulls on her infamous black boots, grabs her bag, and heads downstairs.

Instead of water, her mom has made her tea to soothe her throat for auditions. Cady smiles at her mom, her mom understanding that today Cady will be nonverbal. It doesn't happen often. Only when she is extremely nervous.

"Have a good day, mpenzi," her mom signs.

"Thanks, Mom. I love you," Cady signs back.

Cady walks out the front door, seeing Janis standing there, dressed in ripped black jeans, a black "Ramones" tee, and a loose fitting jean jacket.

"Hey, Caddie," Janis smiles.

"Hey, Janis," Cady signs.

"Are you okay? I heard you crying last night," Janis signs, a worried look washing over her.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just had a rough last night. I couldn't get my audition song right and I got frustrated," Cady signs, trying not to show that she is lying.

"I was just worried about you. Are you ready for your audition?"

"I hope so."

The girls walk toward the school, signing back and forth. Once the school is in sight, Janis grabs Cady's hand. Janis pulls her quickly into the school before anyone can open their mouth.

The girls stand outside Ms. Norbury's room, signing when Damian walks up.

"Hey guys!" he greets excitedly.

"Hey, Damian," Cady signs.

Damian looks confused. "What?"

Janis turns to him. "She's not speaking. She's signing."

"You're still auditioning, right?" he asks.

Cady nods and Damian sighs of relief as the homeroom bell rings.

------------------------------

The sound of Requiem fills Cady's ears for the billionth time. Her nerves have been traveling through her veins all day. She knows a girl has been following her all day, identified as Gretchen Wieners by Janis at lunch.

It's sixth period and all Cady is trying to do is listen to her history lesson, but Gretchen is breathing down her neck. Cady excuses herself to the restroom, needing to take a breath. Gretchen obviously follows her. The second her heels click on to the bathroom floor, rage fills Cady's veins.

"Can you seriously fuck off Gretchen? I know you're too busy up Regina's fucking ass to give a shit but you're really fucking annoying and I'm ready to rip those stupid fucking extensions out," Cady growls.