the universe aligns for a moment in time

song - best mistake: ariana grande

TW: homophobic slurs

Cady and Janis sit in the living room, not wanting to address the elephant in the room. Cady stares down at her hands. Janis stares at the girl in front of her, wishing she could pull her small frame into her arms and kiss her.

"Listen. That night we had sex, my thoughts became too much. Caddie, ever since the incident with Regina in eighth grade, I've suffered from these awful thoughts. And I didn't want to be the space dyke. I wanted to prove Regina wrong. So I decided to text Kevin. And fuck do I regret that. I should have just talked to you. I hurt you and I feel fucking awful for that. There was no reason to hurt you. And it's killed me for the past month. Caddie, I want to go back to the way things were. I want us all to be best friends again," Janis says, quickly wiping away her tears.

Cady can't even look at her. She doesn't know what to say. She doesn't know what to say. But she somehow manages to complete a small sentence. "I forgive you. I don't know about Damian, but I do."

Janis immediately pulls Cady into her arms, holding her close. Cady wraps her arms around Janis, breathing in the girl she's missed so much.

They stay like that for a while, just breathing each other in. Holding each other. Loving each other.

------------------------------

They decide to watch a movie after they let go of each other. They scroll through Netflix, trying to decide on a movie. They eventually agree on The Lovely Bones, Cady snuggling into Janis as the movie begins. Janis wraps her arm around Cady, playing with her hair.

As the movie plays, Janis steals glimpses at Cady, who is completely enthralled in the movie. Janis has already seen this before, so she knows it's about to get really good but way too sad.

As the events unfold on the screen, Janis watches Cady as a few tears slip down her face. Janis wipes them away, pulling Cady closer to her.

Cady looks up at Janis, getting lost in those brown eyes that she loves so much. She bites her lip absentmindedly, looking at Janis.

Janis pulls Cady's lip out from between her teeth and kisses her softly, running her fingers through Cady's auburn curls.

Cady completely melts into Janis, immediately kissing back. She missed this more than she would like to admit.

They kiss for some time, without even realizing it.

Cady is the one to pull away for a breath. She looks up at Janis, not knowing what to say.

Janis stares into the bright blue eyes she's longed for. She pulls Cady into her arms and holds her tight, not wanting to let go. "Caddie?"

"Yes, Janis?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

Cady doesn't know what to say. But, without thinking, she gives her an answer.

"Yes."