𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

。・:*:・★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・★,。・:*:・゚☆

EARLY THE NEXT MORNING, I felt the surface beneath me moving, almost like it was breathing, which didn't make any sense. My tired brain quickly tried to make sense of the situation, and it didn't take long, as the voice of the surface snapped me awake.

"What a beautiful morning view."

Freddie spoke up, almost scaring me slightly. I furrowed my brows, eyes still shut, waiting for my body to wake up a little bit more. The chest beneath my head vibrated, little giggles coming from Fredrick. "Oh god." I groaned, lifting my head off Freddie's chest. My arm was draped across his chest, legs intertwined with his; his body radiating so much heat I didn't want to move. He smiled at me, pulling me closer to him as I continued to try to bury my head into his warmth, not sure how much more buried I could get. "Morning." My voice croaked out, and he shushed next, "Nope, it's still sleepy time. It's 6 am." He closed his eyes, attempting to fall back to sleep quickly, and I mimicked his actions, not wanting to miss out on some sleep. Until I heard a faint tap against the window. Again and again, as if someone was throwing pebbles at the window or something. I shuffled out of Freddie's embrace, limping over the window as my leg still hurt, although not as bad as last night. Thanks to Doctor Freddie.

Drawing the curtains back, I saw the perpetrator was James Cook. His eyes went wide at the sight of me, shaking his head as I lifted the window up. "Rory?" He called up, clearly confused at why I was in Freddie's room at 6 am. "James, what are you doing here?" I questioned, and he smirked. "Could ask you the same question Rory, couldn't I? You guys left my birthday bash to fuck, didn't you? Left the birthday boy without a shag so you two could get it on?" His demeanor changed, his voice raised as he looked annoyed, and I shook my head, shushing him. "It's 6 am Cook. Shut up. And no, we didn't fuck."

"Bullshit!" Cook responded, spitting the word out of his mouth as if it repulsed him. As I stared at Cook out the window, shaking my head at his attitude, I didn't notice that Freddie had woken up and was now standing behind me, shirtless. "Fred. What the fuck is going on? You fucked her?" He asked up, and Freddie sighed at Cook's behavior, clearly growing tired of it. "No you tosser, what the fuck are you doing here?" Cook wouldn't let it go, not believing either of us was being truthful. "Liar! Fuck off, man. She's wearing your fucking jumper you dickhead, so clearly something happened?" Cook said, not realizing how idiotic he sounded. Freddie groaned, clearly not getting through to his best mate. Since he'd woke me up at 6 am and was now just being a wanker, I put my middle finger up to Cook, which seemed to shut him up temporarily.

"Listen. What the hell are you doing here Cook? It's 6 am Saturday morning. Everyone's asleep, including us." Freddie tried to explain calmly, but at the mention of 'us', Cook began to get aggravated again. "I didn't realize you'd have company man." Freddie went to close the window at this point, causing Cook to begin pleading, "Wait. Wait!" He called up way too loudly, and both Freddie and I made shushing noises to silence him. "I really need to talk to you." He whispered up to the window, looking desperate, so Freddie agreed. "Ok, ok, I'll meet you in the shed," Freddie called down to Cook, who was smiling since he got his own way. Freds shook his head as he shut the window pulling me back as he closed the curtains.

"Come on then, let's go," I said, and Freddie looked surprised. "You want to go speak to Cook?" he asked, and I shrugged. "Well, we're both up now. Unless you don't want me to intrude?" I turned away as he didn't speak up, his silence answering my question until he pulled me back. "No, no, I want you to come." He smiled, grabbing a hoodie and a black pair of ripped jeans, before grabbing my hand and leading me downstairs. I was still just wearing his jumper, but he was right, it fit me like a dress. He led me outside to the shed, and opened the door to reveal the boys 'man cave'. Cook had sprawled himself across one of the chairs, looking as though he hadn't slept at all, yet was somehow downing a can of beer. Freds pulled me onto the sofa, and we both sat, the three of us sitting in awkward silence for a moment until Cook turned his attention to us, realizing I was there.

"Oh, morning didn't realize the lovely Aurora was joining us." He said, and I fake smiled. "And here I thought we were best mates James." He smirked, popping open another beer can, and holding it out to Freddie who shook his head. "Jesus man. Have you not stopped drinking?" Freddie asked, judgment clear in his voice, which was definitely warranted considering it was 6 am and we'd only gone to bed at around 3 am. "Oh don't be a cock about it. I've been up all night." Freddie rolled his eyes, and I stared at the two of them, wondering how they'd come to be friends.

"So, what are we doing today then?" Cook asked, clearly not sensing the awkwardness between them both. "Didn't you hear what I said last night?" Freddie asked, staring at the boy in disbelief. "Oh, come on, man. You were just in a bad mood." Cook shook his head, not believing Freddie was actually mad. "Yeah, I was. You almost got us killed." Cook laughed at Freddie's serious tone, "Yeah. Sorry about that." "You're apologizing? That's a first." Freddie said, and Cook, for the first time, seemed to realize he was serious. "Something happened. I wasn't me. It was me. I don't know. I did something stupid-" "That's new." Freddie scoffed, and my phone began vibrating, so I got up and headed outside, leaving the boys to their convo.

"Hello?" I answered the phone, and I heard Effy's voice quietly through the speaker. "Hello, Aurora. Mum's asking where you are." Effy used my first name, which she knows I hate, so of course, I had to do the same. "Good morning Elizabeth. Tell her I'm at friends." I'm about to hang up the phone when Effy speaks again. "And which friend would that be?" Effy questioned, causing me to giggle. "Did mum ask that too, or is this question from you?" I heard her sigh through the phone, mumbling that it was her who was asking. "Just a friend. Anyway, what's up?" I asked, wondering why mum hadn't just messaged me herself. "Look, I'm going to pick up today, and since I always steal your drugs, I figured I'd get you some too. Wanna come?" She asked, and I rolled my eyes. "Finally. About time. Meet me where we usually meet, yeah. I'll see you soon." I hang up the phone, just as Cook leaves the shed.

"Now we're alone you can be honest. Did you and Fred fuck?" I roll my eyes, confused as to why he wouldn't let it go. "Get a grip, James. Don't worry, I won't steal your boyfriend." I smirked, and he smiled back at me. "You know, I feel like maybe we will be the best of friends. Secretly, I don't think we're that different. I think deep down, you're like me." He began whistling as he walked off, hopefully finally going home, leaving me wondering what he was on about.

I walked back into the shed, seeing Freddie sitting on the sofa, head in his hands. I sat down on the floor in front of the sofa he was sitting on and touched his leg to get his attention. "You're worried about him, aren't you?" I asked as Freddie sighed, nodding slowly. "Yes. Very worried. He's always been a bit crazy, I know that. But recently he's been more mental than usual. Did you know he set fire to a locker at school? When I asked him why, do you know what he said? 'Mental is as mental does', or something. He's losing it. He's going to get himself killed man, he really is. And it's not just me who worries. JJ gets really anxious almost every time we go out, all because of Cook's behavior." He shakes his head as he finishes his little rant, lighting a spliff to help him relax.

"I just don't know what to fucking do Rory." He says, and I rest my hand on his thigh in support, rubbing it soothingly. "You're doing everything you can Freddie. But you have to think about yourself. Sometimes, people aren't worth dying for. See, you're looking out for JJ and Cook and everyone else around you. But who's looking out for you, huh? Who's looking out for Freddie?" I ask, trying to make him understand he doesn't have to, and shouldn't have to, mother his friends. Freddie thinks about it for a moment, silence filling the shed until he smiles at me.

"I guess you are now."