𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

。・:*:・★,。・:*:・゚☆

。・:*:・★,。・:*:・゚☆

I SPENT MOST OF MY SCHOOL DAY SHRUGGING OFF THE LOOKS OF PITY when asked who was accompanying me to the dance tonight. It seemed that no matter how many times I told people I was happy to go with Pandora, their expressions still gave away their sorrow when I didn't name a boy, or maybe more particularly Freddie. It seemed that even outside of our group, people had heard rumours or chatter about Freddie and I, which is probably why everyone did that sympathetic nod as they saw me. Yet, despite all this, I managed to keep a smile on my face most of the time, with the exception of an eye roll or two.

"Rory! Hey, Rory, wait up!" Pandora yelled as she rushed down the corridor behind me, backpack jingling as she bounced down the halls, shoving past the flow of students to reach me. "Panda, hey, you okay?" She smiled as she caught up to me, twiddling her clipped back strands of hair, fiddling with the butterfly clips in between her fingers. "Yep. Yep. You know, I really wish I had caterpillar clips. Not butterflies. But I've never seen any, no shops seem to do them. I don't get it!" I giggled to myself as she spoke, surprisingly remembering when she'd mentioned this before. "I guess most people don't like caterpillars that much," I said, shrugging as I pushed open the main doors of the college, a soft breeze brushing against my cheeks. "Yeah, you're right. Everyone else says that butterflies are way prettier than caterpillars, but I disagree. I love them. What's your favorite animal again?" I smiled at how sweet she was, and how no matter what, Pandora would always be more innocent than everyone else our age. "Butterflies. And Cats. I can't pick a favorite." I said, and she nodded, mumbling something under her breath about how I couldn't have two favorites.

"So, what's the plan, Rory? Are you coming to my house?" She asked, and I turned to her, confused. "Panda, we have the ball. I need to go home and get ready, right?" She laughed, clearly I'd missed something. "Come on Rory, don't be silly, we have to get ready together. Girls night! We can pop to your house, grab what you need, and then get ready at mine! We have to! Come on!" She pulled on my hand as we walked through the school courtyard, clearly excited. "Hey Panda, Aurora-" Panda walked right past Freddie and JJ, not even giving them a chance to speak, "No time, got things to do, hair, dresses, makeup; talk later!" She continued to pull me along behind her, not wanting any distractions from our girl's night. I mouthed a goodbye to the boys as I kept walking, Pandora giggling ahead as we walked out the school gates, her leading the way, already knowing the way to my house.

"Listen, Aurora, can I ask you about something?" She had given up on holding my hand, fiddling with her own nervously instead of pulling me along by mine. "Anything Panda," I asked, and she hummed a little tune for a second, before stopping on the corner, turning to me suddenly, my house insight. "Do you think Thomas and I will work things out? I can't stop thinking about him, I mean, I think about him in class, when I'm walking in the hallways, eating lunch, even on the loo. What if we don't end up together again?" I could see the desperation in her eyes, it was clear she knew what she did was wrong, and I guess I couldn't hold it against her. We're all fuck-ups sometimes. "I always say, I think what's meant to happen will happen, only with a little bit of fight. It shouldn't be mission impossible, but I guess things shouldn't be so easy either. A little bit of a struggle is good for the soul, shows effort, or something." I shrugged, rolling my eyes as I spoke, even finding myself cringing at my words. "I'm hoping tonight will be the night, where I can show him what he's missing, wearing a sexy dress. Effy always taught me that. You know, show them, well, all this, I guess..." She pointed at herself as she trailed off, slowly making her way to my ruby red front door, the only one on the street with some color.

"You know, it feels like I haven't seen Anthea in months, last time I was here might have actually been with Thomas. When we went to the rave. God, how's Jim? Are they good?" Pandora rambled on as she rang the doorbell, for some reason excited to be at mine again, whereas I couldn't wait to get in and get out. "Panda, please, whatever you do, don't mention my dad to my mum. Things aren't good there. You know, since she cheated?" I spoke quietly, just as my mum swung open the door, looking tired and grumpy. "Oh, it's you darling. You okay?" Her tired eyes were wiped away as she forced a soft smile, yet the dressing gown and messy hair gave her away. "And I'm here!" My mum looked less than impressed with Pandora, but she'd always been like that. "Yes, hello Pandora. Come on in, don't mind me, I'll just be in my room." She shuffled her way back upstairs, Pandora and I following behind her, my mum's slow walk irrationally frustrating me; she knew I hated walking behind slow coaches.

Once we made it to my room, Pandora slumped down on my freshly made bed, the blue duvet almost matching my dress for the ball. Pandora laid down, humming a little song as she hugged my little zebra pillow, smiling at me as I gathered my things. As I pieced my outfit together, I laid each item down on the bed, ensuring I wouldn't forget anything. "Shoes! Don't forget your shoes, I hate it when I forget my shoes, means I ruin my socks." I giggled as I picked up my high heels from the corner beside my wardrobe, while Pandora began telling a little story about the last time she forgot her shoes. "I was walking down the road in my pink socks with pom-poms, they were my favorite, and then I stepped in an oily dirty puddle and ruined 'em! I was heartbroken, I was." I shook my head as she frowned, recalling a story that I vaguely remember hearing before- she really did love those socks.

Once everything was organized, I packed everything neatly in a tote bag, careful not to crease anything. "Ready to go, Panda?" She smiled as she continued to fiddle with the pillow, nodding as she slowly got up from the bed. "Let's get this party started! Woo! Let's go!" She jumped up all of a sudden, excitement taking over. "Next stop, my house!" She said as we rushed out of the room, Pandora taking the lead as we headed downstairs, rushing out the door before my mother could say anything. The front door slammed behind us as we strutted down the road, Pandora's excitement almost spreading to me instantly. Pandora really was a good friend, and Effy really took that for granted when she was here.