seven

The weather became increasingly bitter, torrential rain ambushing the quiet streets. Jimin wouldn't be having any tutors until the end of winter, though the burden of his parents expectations just meant an eternity of studying regardless. Jimin had locked himself in his room for most of the time, towers of books drowsing under the amber light.

Head lolled against the headboard, the star lover attempts to read, though the words just fly over his head like everything else does, nowadays. Jimin can't ever seem to focus on anything lately, so preoccupied by his thoughts and his daydreams it's almost like his head is stuck in another realm.

"Sometimes I think my thoughts are alike stars, but unfathomable to arrange into constellations."

Jimin smiles at the fond memory, though the absence of his best friend forced the tips of his mouth down. Because of him having to study for hours on end, he'd been prohibited from seeing Taehyung, making his already lengthy days feel even longer. And what's worse is Jimin can barely pin point the last time he'd seen the midnight boy. Jimin can't help but miss him, just a little bit.

Sighing, Jimin closes the book, shutting his eyes only for stars the race across his vision.

"Jimin, darling? It's time to eat."

Jimin yanks the book back into the palms of his hands, opening it to a random page. "I'm studying, mother."

He hears his mother sigh and open the door. Jimin's eyes flicker up for a mere second, not daring to meet her eyes, then burying his head further into the book. "I'm lucky that I have such a smart and studious child, don't I?" Feebly unveiling one of her rare colourless smiles, Jimin's mother strokes her hand down the base of his head.

Jimin's mother, alike his father, was inexpressive and unreadable. Seldomly displaying any sort of affection or warmth. Her hand lingers there for a second, but soon enough she retracts her hand as fast as it arrived, clasping her fingers and settling them on her lap. Jimin ventures to look at her once more, and her once airy smile that painted her expressions had been smudged into an abyss of rigidity.

"You may bring your food here, just this once. Though make sure you bring your plate downstairs when you finish and don't make a mess." Jimin gulps at the severity of her tone at that last sentence, briskly nodding. His mother returns the nod, standing up and fixing her already flawless posture. "Remember, Jimin."

Jimin rests his back against the wall for a moment, mustering his courage. Walking grudgingly towards the door, he hesitates over the door knob. Jimin inhales sharply, twisting the knob slowly.

-

"You're letting your son bring food upstairs?" His father fumed, looming over his mother.

"It's nothing sweetheart, calm down. He's responsible." Jimin's mother edged closer to her spouse, hesitating as she rubbed circles on the small of his back.

His father pressed his hand to his forehead, attempting not to roll his eyes. "You can't be so soft on him all the time." Severity painted on the canvas of his face. "He'll become, soft. Too kind."

"He's studying! He hasn't had a break." She looked at her husband hopefully. "Just this one time." She almost whispered, tone dialled down a notch.

Jimin's father sighs and muttered under his breath, "Fine! Just this once." Irritation still swam in the depths of his voice, in between the black matter that settled in his tones.

Lifelessly, she almost smiled, though he wearingly looked at her as if she were some annoying burden that clung onto him like a leech.

Jimin watched as his father strode past his mother, watching as her eyes worriedly followed his stature. She bit her lip, glaring at the untainted floor beneath. He almost thought she was going to tear up, agony threatening to spill over her cheeks.

However, his mother fixed her posture, and stood up tall. Straight. Any hint of emotion that blemished her perfect demeanour ripped from her expressions. Jimin observed as his mother quickly followed his suit, trailing after her husband.

But Jimin didn't miss the hanker-chief that dabbed at the corner of her eyes.