twenty two

The rest of the evening is just Jimin zoning in and out conversations, staying quiet when he isn't wanted. Speaking out when he is needed. He does pay attention to the way his father glances at Seoyeon's mother, irking him to the very core. Jimin hates seeing his mother hurt, and it pains Jimin to see her smile lovingly at his father to only have him stare intensely at another. It's only worse when Seoyeon's mother returns the glances with the same intensity, her comments towards him a little coyer to be part of evening dinner. It disgusts Jimin.

It's slow, but the dinner ends nonetheless, and Jimin has the hide his elation when they're escorting Seoyeon's family to the door, knowing that he'd never have to see this girl or her family again.

"Goodnight..." Seoyeon whispers sweetly, tiptoeing as he places an unsolicited kiss on his cheek. Jimin remains unmoved, forcing a smile as he bids her goodbye, desperate to usher the family out of the door. Desperate to be back in Jungkook's arms again, hidden in the comfort of the night. Jimin wants to laugh at himself because of how stupidly lovesick he is. Jungkook had practically broken him last night, and yet he misses him? He'd become someone his younger self would hate.

"That went well, didn't it, sweetheart?" Jimin hears his mother whisper as he begins to slowly walk away. Jimin's father only hums blankly, not bothering to look at her. Unable to watch this blank exchange anymore, Jimin doesn't bother to even excuse himself before he begins to clamber up the stairs, holding in an annoyed groan when his father beckons for him.

"Jimin."

"Yes, father?" Jimin asks through clenched teeth, stopping midway up the stairs. It takes every living thing in his body not to roll his eyes. He was so, so close.

"Me and your mother will be out again tomorrow. We will not be gone for long, though." And perhaps it makes him a bad, and disobedient son for the way a blinding smile graces his features, glad that his back was turned away from his parents so they aren't able to see the glee etched on his face. He feels a little bad for being so happy about being left alone again, but can you blame him? As much as he adores his parents, their judging characters do burden him just a little bit. It can be quite exasperating having your every move be tracked down to the smallest details. Their scrutiny suffocates him.

Or, maybe he likes the fact he gets to spend time with Jungkook without the worry of being caught. But Jimin doesn't quite want to fully admit to that yet.

"Ah, alright, father." Jimin chirps, attempting to mask the smiles and rainbows in his voice.

-

It's pitch black outside as Jimin waits on the rooftop, sitting cross-legged as he fiddles with his small fingers. He'd done everything to keep himself occupied the past hours, but he hates the way his mind drifts into the skies and dreams of the one boy that makes every star in the night glitter. Jimin hates how he loves him, so sometimes, he can barely focus on much now. He can't help but wonder how much more intense his adoration for the older male will get before it becomes all too much.

Despite his blatant excitement, a sort of anxiety riddles his stomach. As much as he misses Jungkook, the memory of the older male leaving him after they'd made love makes his heart ache.

He'd practically left without a slither of regret in his body, bringing Jimin so, so close to tears. Jungkook had left him in the state where he'd been most vulnerable, even after willingly giving himself up for the midnight male.

But Jimin can't keep that grudge against him, no matter how hard he could ever try. The smaller male wonders if it's just him being too sensitive and childish at anything that doesn't go his way. Why should he expect Jungkook to stay?