...that ain't cute, boo.

can i ask a question?

why are there so many fanfics where the main female OC is a naive, insecure, childish girl, that can't fight for herself?

i'm only asking because i wonder if that's how all the writers see females, even when they themselves are women.

i don't know about anyone else, but i grew up in an area where it was every man for themselves. you couldn't be naive and weak where i'm at. and if you were, you were and are walked all over and not taken seriously. that's just the reality here.

i was raised by a single mother who works as a hair stylist in a low-income county, trying to support two girls. my sister and i were raised to fend for ourselves when mom had to work late. i was taught how to do laundry when i was 8. i did odd jobs for neighbors to get a little bit of extra cash to help out with the bills. i learned that i couldn't trust everyone i met, because you never knew what type of demons they hid.

i don't get how there are all these stories about women that can't save themselves. who can't realize when the relationship they're in is taken a dangerous turn. who don't realize that their own friends are only talking to them when they need something.

i guess everyone is different. maybe i'm alone in wanting to read stories with a strong female character. and not some naive, insecure, whiny little girl. i want to read about character who don't have to wait for their love interest to run in and save them, because they can save themselves - no matter what it takes.

and i feel like this is the type of thing that gets a lot of people talking, especially since there are a lot of young people on this site who wouldn't know what a healthy relationship was.