Ch. 9: Likeness

An alarm blared in Dark's ear. He closed his eyes tightly and covered his head with a pillow. "I thought I destroyed every alarm on earth.." He groaned.

"Not all of them!" (Y/n) chirped. "Rise and shine Dark, it's time for our run!"

Dark moved his pillow and stared at the old ceiling. "Our what?"

"Our run!"

He sat up and looked outside. There was no sun, and it looked like the area was barely lit. "What ungodly hour is it?"

"4 AM, why?"

He then noticed she was fully dressed in spandex and a light jacket. "You cannot be serious..." He pushed his fingers through his hair. "I barely slept.."

"This won't happen every day, but today is good as any!"

Her optimism annoyed him. He was in no mood let alone condition to go running. Although he was probably fine, this is the last thing he wanted to do. For the good part of 100 years, he did what he wanted, not what someone else wanted.

"And if I refuse?"

"You need to learn endurance, and one of the best ways to do so is to go running, plus, it's with me."

"I do not care who I am running with. I have this said endurance Storm wishes me to have."

"Well, then take that up with him, for now, I'd enjoy some company. Who knows what's out in those woods. Hellhounds could be lurking everywhere." She leaned on the bed.

"Do not taunt me with those words."

"So then you'll go?"

He sighed. "If I must..."

___________________________

Dark ran along with (Y/n), well, more so behind her at this point. They had been jogging nonstop for the last 45 minutes. The sun was beginning to show itself through the trees.

The path they were on was obviously used many many times since it was nothing but dirt. The difficult part came in with the short hills and rocky terrain.

Dark, though usually completely capable of running, was growing tired since he still hadn't fully recovered yet. He was dripping in sweat and as time passed it became harder to keep up with (Y/n).

"My dear," He huffed. "May we stop briefly."

"We're almost halfway done!"

"Halfway?" He groaned, leaning on his knees.

She stopped and turned towards him with her hands on her hips. "I'm going way too easy on you."

"Easy?" He glanced up at her. "I haven't done this much exorcize since the war."

"Well your highness, war is just around the corner." She looked around and decided maybe he did need a break. He didn't do this every day as she had. "Here, walk up this way with me, there's a big creek just up ahead."

He stood up completely and followed her along walking to the water. His huffing turned into normal breath as he walked alongside her.

"These woods could be very dangerous you know," Dark spoke out.

"I've encountered a lot of creatures, but a lot of the time — they're actually quite nice to look at."

"You mean to tell me the demonic animals of the underworld don't cause your hair to stand on end?" He smirked.

"They're just animals...sure they have that same evil that's inside of you, but that doesn't mean that's all they do. Haven't you ever seen them acting — well — naturally."