fifteen; a familiar stranger

THE ONE WHERE SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND.

C H A P T E R F I F T E E N ;

third person pov;

a n g r i l y , millie groaned at her painful alarm that she despised. slouching on her cheap dorm room mattress, she discovered that rubbing her eyes didn't change being overwhelmingly tired.
at all.

two days earlier from present time, she was finally released from hospital care. although it was surprisingly quicker than expected, it wasn't a smooth get out.

a few days back she was kept in by a wheelchair, and today she could move onto crutches. it was unneeded as she could walk perfectly fine when secretly trying alone, but she followed the doctors' consultation.

to add on, the bill was crazy expensive, though her parents agreed to cover most of the cost. millie returned with ten medications (all with backup bottles) to take during meals, on an empty stomach, or at specific hours.

evidently, millie wasn't the happiest. 'suppose the anti depressants could cure that!' she thought with sarcasm, sluggishly rolling out of bed and grabbing the crutches by her bed rail.

sadie stayed with caleb ever since she professed his love for him (not the only thing she did), and it was no surprise that he felt the same.

reaching the kitchen, all millie found was a few stale strawberry pop tarts & expired orange juice with the lid not screwed on fully. millie grinned at her 'healthy' breakfast choices available, and settled into the lumpy couch cushions to eat.

changing into comfortable black leggings and a baggy lilac pullover sweater, she forced on her beat up pair of maroon sneakers. it was probably time to go shoe shopping, as with every step her toe pinched against the sides.

on the way to her first class, she noticed people giving her weird glares, but decided to shrug it off.

this was the first time she was back since the rumor, that was definitely the reason for judgment. word runs fast in smaller colleges, apparently the high school drama never left.

now holding eye contact with the ground, millie opened the door to her class arriving many minutes early to get settled. she thought crutches would make her go much slower, but it turned out that a four-minute walk didn't need twenty minutes no matter who you were.

deciding on the empty seat where jacob and iris would sit, she received even weirder looks. having nothing else to do, she decided to waste her time scrolling through socials instead of collecting the work she missed.