twenty nine; imperfect desire

THE ONE WHERE THEY CELEBRATE THE START OF SUMMER.

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  N I N E ;

third person pov;

e f f o r t l e s s l y, millie slammed the car door behind her before finn locked it, sadie caught up to them through the overgrown grass. a few pieces of her hair stuck to her neck, humidity growing with each passing day.

cars pulled into the field, and the trio strolled down the bumpy hill together. lucky for them, mosquitoes weren't biting tonight. a line of strangers were signing up for a paper lantern, others clustered together, some paddling out on the water early.

"i forgot how busy it gets," millie said in amazement, people brushing their shoulders from incoming arrivals. the small boy they know and mostly love, ran to them, "i got us all in, you're welcome!"

"noah!" millie chirped, greeting him with a tight hug. "millster!" noah beamed, facing towards finn and sadie awaiting a hug from them as well, he didn't get one.

"caleb is over there, let's go," noah lead the way and finn followed, sadie pulled millie behind the rest. "i'm not gonna tell him tonight," sadie quietly confessed, "i can't."

"you have to tell him," millie pushed, "it's important, i'd imagine its life changing to be a parent. he's the father, right?"

"i didn't get that tested. i think, god i hope so, i've slept with so many dumbass men and i couldn't stand having a stupid baby," sadie replied, watching millie's face drop in shock, "not my fault men are generally dumb!"

"sads, babies aren't born with a bachelors degree-"

"no shit sherlock."

noah sprinted up to them, offering two paper lanterns, "what's going on here?"

"not your business," sadie snarled, searching the crowd for caleb in hopes of avoiding him. little did she know, he already snuck up behind, tapping her shoulder.

"oh fuck."

"so i'm just gonna get my boat, in water, i'm going!" millie peeped, her feet carrying her easily away.

she jogged up to the dock and it creaked under her converse with every step. people were climbing into their boats and workers pushed new ones in, the cycle continuing. "just you?" a masculine voice rung in her ears.